Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overdosed my 24 FT above ground with Algecide What to do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Overdosed my 24 FT above ground with Algecide What to do?

Accidentally added about 4 times the suggested amount of algecide to our pool and there's a white foamy sort of film on top of the water. What should i do? Is it ok to swim in with the film showing? I am trying to skim as much of the film as i can. The water is still sparking clear.

24 ft above ground round.
    Nashville TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overdosed my 24 FT above ground with Algecide What to do?

I know they make anti-foaming agents, but I would wait on one of the experts here (who I'm sure will be along shortly) as I have no first hand experience
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks I was able to skim a lot off the top and i think it's ok now. I am hoping tomorrow will be all better. It's supposed to be the last good swim day as temps will be in the 90's one more day and then take a dive to 70's. I hope to enjoy it. I made a decision to keep my pool open throughout the winter, so, i am worried about it but at the same time i think it will be ok. Thanks for replying.

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to raise your FC (chlorine) level up a bit. It'll eventually oxidize away, it just takes time.

Do you know what the ingredients in the algaecide was? A lot of them are copper and that'll stain your pool when it gets too high.

Post a full set of numbers and how you got the. Then we can help more.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

And lastly, why are you using algaecide
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

i read a post this guy wrote in about having a sandy dusty kind of looking stuff on the bottom of the pool, which they told him was algae. I have been dealing with that stuff, albeit my pool water is very clear, but i couldn't seem to get rid of that on the bottom. So when i read that it was dead algae, i thought i'd get algaecide which i now realize was dumb, since that is dead algae. sighh. But actually, the pool had a greasy sort of feel to it, and i felt that it needed the algaecide. I really don't know numbers because i just go by what the pool store tells me, and the truth is, i don't even have the test kit you are all talking about. I tried to understand what you are all saying but it's not sinking in. I think maybe if i get the kit, it will start making more sense. Yes, i did read the pool school thing. I am just overwhelmed by it all. I think it'll all sink in after about 2 or 3 seasons of maintaining my pool. If anyone wouldn't mind a private message to work with me one on one, that would be so appreciated. Let me know

7. Back To Top    #7

It is overwhelming to begin with and like anything else the best teacher is doing. Once you get a good test kit it'll become clear how to test things and with time it'll become automatic.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit