"Free closing"

Sep 8, 2010
Noblesville, IN
Just got our pool a month or so ago and included in the price was a free pool closing, All I do is by chemicals. Hmmmm, seems like a good deal. I received a letter saying I need to buy 47 gallons of antifreeze prior to closing. I was like whoa wait a minute. Does this sound right?

HoleInOne said:
Why do the tell you that stuff? :evil: So far, I haven't found anything they have said to agree with anything on this forum.

Welcome to TFP!!

They tell you that stuff because they either have always done things that way and haven't had too many major problems. Or they tell you that stuff because they are ignorant and blindly follow what the, usually not well informed, chem sales people tell them. Either way, the nice folks here know more than they do and aren't trying to empty your bank account into theirs :goodjob:

It sounds like the 47 gallons was either a typo or they plan on filling the pipes 100%, which is WAAAYYY overkill!

If you need more from us on why 47 gallons of antifreeze is overkill (or want our input on anything else) all you need do is ask :-D

Heckpools said:
WOW....

You need ZERO bottles of anti-freeze..PERIOD

Matt, are you being a little hasty? :poke:

I fully agree that if, all the water is removed from the lines there is no need for antifreeze, but how many lines have 100% blown out (despite the thoroughness of the blowing)? And, if the pipes weren't buried below the frostline, mightn't that water puddle and freeze at the lowest point?

I like to add a gallon or so to any convenient line, it's fairly cheep and good insurance against a faulty/ leaky plug :wink:

waste said:
Heckpools said:
WOW....

You need ZERO bottles of anti-freeze..PERIOD

Matt, are you being a little hasty? :poke:

I fully agree that if, all the water is removed from the lines there is no need for antifreeze, but how many lines have 100% blown out (despite the thoroughness of the blowing)? And, if the pipes weren't buried below the frostline, mightn't that water puddle and freeze at the lowest point?

I like to add a gallon or so to any convenient line, it's fairly cheep and good insurance against a faulty/ leaky plug :wink:

LOL

ok,ok... ill rephrase... i dont personally use it UNLESS there is plumbing above ground that has a low spot and i cant tell if all the water is removed. But as far all skimmers, and return lines i feel there is no need if your using a professional blower like we use. (cyclone 3hp blower/vac) If a homeowner is using a shop vac or something like that, then adding some anti-freeze is good for piece of mind.

The fact they told him the closing was free but he had to buy 47 gallons of antifreeze really bothered me, Ill close anyones pool for free too if they buy that much antifreeze from me lol.

TELL HIM YOUR BUYING IT ALL ONLINE!! see how much they like that one :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have to buy the anti freeze from them :blah: ...they say they are putting anti freeze in until they see it coming out te jets...and if your water is cloudy, they won't do it because they can't see the anti freeze come out. The thing is I was very happy with the pool install but this other BS is confusing me. Would the fact that I have an in floor jetsetup make a difference?

Im sorry holeinone, but the plumbing lines should be properly blown out and pluged for the winter. Think about this... They come out and blow the lines and put on the cover for free they make $0.00 YOu purchase 47 bottles of antifreeze they make ATLEAST $200... at thats ATLEAST. who wants to be swimming in 47 gallons of antifreeze next spring??
The infloor jets have nothing to do with it. They need to be blownout and air locked like the bottomdrain. We close alot of pool with them.

Ask them why they dont blowout the lines and plug them like all the other pool companies do.
Seriosly, im really interested in why. If you dont mind.

Well I called today and questioned the anti freeze. They called it a complete closing. They will completely fill the lines with anti freeze. When I asked what happens to the antifreeze next spring, they said they would pump it out at opening. If I wanted a partial closing, they could just blow out the lines and add a small amount of anti freeze. I opted for the partial closing. Duh...

''We fill the pool with anti-freeze. Since Anti-freeze weighs more than water it will remain in the pool, so there can only be a few inches of water, so this way there is no risk to the liner, the safety cover, the skimmers, the returns, the lines... and we do it for free if you buy the anti-freeze from us. For a 60 000 liters pool, thats about 15k jugs at 2.99$, or 45 000$!''

Y'know... free!

(I know, I am exagerating a bit... you'd also need 10 more jugs to fill the sand filter. You're never safe enough.)

mart242 said:
Not even 1/2 jug to pour in the pump? It keeps the seal wet all winter..

Haven't heard of that one before. Custom here is to unplug it, empty it and bring it inside the garage or something (if it ain't already). We also suggest one puts all gizmos (O-rings, fittings and pressure gauge) inside the pump so they're easy to find when you re-open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.