Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie: How to prepare for winter the right way?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie: How to prepare for winter the right way?

Well this is my third pool and the first one that I plan to leave up. My concerns are preparing it correctly for the winters in Virginia. My thought is to drain it below the skimmers, and buy a 24' solar cover for my 20' pool. And then let the ends hang over the rail to keep dirt or leaves out. I do plan on getting a winerizing kit before covering. I'm hoping the solar cover will keep the pool from freezing. Will this work or not? What are your thoughts? Thanks for the help guys!!!
    Intex 20'x48" round ultra metal frame pool
    Vinyl pool walls
    10,000 gallons (appox.)
    1500 gallon filter pump w/ Saltwater Water Sanitizing System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie: How to prepare for winter the right way?

A solar cover won't have any real effect on the pool freezing. Pools freezing is no big deal, just get the water out of the plumbing, pump and filter. If you leave a solar cover too larger, it will either fill with water and sink when it rains, or the first gust of wind more than about 15mph will send it into the neighbor's yard.

Here's an article about winterizing AG pools: Winterizing your Above Ground Pool
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Newbie: How to prepare for winter the right way?

OK thanks for the information. I guess I'll just winterize it and put a good cover over it. I was thinking that a solar cover would help but I guess not. Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    A solar cover won't have any real effect on the pool freezing. Pools freezing is no big deal, just get the water out of the plumbing, pump and filter. If you leave a solar cover too larger, it will either fill with water and sink when it rains, or the first gust of wind more than about 15mph will send it into the neighbor's yard.

Here's an article about winterizing AG pools: Winterizing your Above Ground Pool
    Intex 20'x48" round ultra metal frame pool
    Vinyl pool walls
    10,000 gallons (appox.)
    1500 gallon filter pump w/ Saltwater Water Sanitizing System