Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I know there is no "stupid" questions, but.....

1. Back To Top    #1

I know there is no "stupid" questions, but.....

Will there be days that I don't put ANYTHING in the pool? It seems both the PH and the FC are legit as of tonight, the water looks clear, etc. It seemed like Brian was always tinkering and adding stuff. We did the total battery of tests on Monday, and it's Thursday night here.

Also, how will I know the skimmers are on? I keep second guessing myself to whether the valves are open or not. My pressure hasn't gone up much.

I can see now why Brian got so into this. I can tell after I feel more comfortable, I'm going to enjoy it. I hope.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I know there is no "stupid" questions, but.....

There may be some days when you don't need to do anything. You should probably test chlorine daily until you really have a feel for how it varies.

When the skimmers are on, the weir (floating door) will be pulled down slightly and have water flowing over it. When no water is entering the skimmer, the weir will be floating slightly above the top of the water. If they are off, the weirs will usually make a little soft banging noise occasionally while you are swimming.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Guamgal
    Will there be days that I don't put ANYTHING in the pool? It seems both the PH and the FC are legit as of tonight, the water looks clear, etc. It seemed like Brian was always tinkering and adding stuff. We did the total battery of tests on Monday, and it's Thursday night here.
    It's nice when that happens, isn't it?
    It just depends on how tight you make your tolerances. If you allow pH to range from 7.2-7.8, it will stay okay for quite a while. If you allow pH to range from 7.4-7.5, it will take a lot more fussing. I suspect your husband has a bad case of sparklypoolitis, so he worked in a narrower range.
    [quote:1ylu0krm]Also, how will I know the skimmers are on? I keep second guessing myself to whether the valves are open or not. My pressure hasn't gone up much.

I can see now why Brian got so into this. I can tell after I feel more comfortable, I'm going to enjoy it. I hope.
    [/quote:1ylu0krm]Look for movement. I can usually see through the finger holes in the skimmer lid that water is moving; your setup may be different. And if the pool is clean anyway, and not a lot of debris is falling in, your filter can go a long time before clogging. My pressure raises about 1 psi/month, which leads me to hope that backflush and recharge is an annual thing.

Once you get into the routine and get comfortable with the tests and treatment, you may start getting fussier. It's okay, we all go through it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, ya'll!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never gone more then 1 day without having to add chlorine. There have been weeks at a time where my pH level never seem to move. As the water gets colder, it may use less chlorine as well.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm still kind of newb myself (it's my rookie year as a pool owner), but with a saltwater chlorine generator I almost never have to add anything to the pool. It really is a pretty great system for lazy people like me (my Polaris cleaner also helps here!). I do check the water, but only usually about once a week unless I suspect a problem or have added some chemicals and want to measure their effect.

-Andrew
    12,800 gal. fiberglass freeform pool, appx 30x14x3-6, Pentair pump & cart filter, Autopilot Cubby SWG, Polaris 280, auto lever

7. Back To Top    #7

I dont think a saltwater thingie is in the cards anytime soon....$$!

Our pool stays the same temp year round so I guess I will just do a chlorine drop test everyday.

8. Back To Top    #8

Guamgal -- Once you get to know your pool well enough you won't have to do the drop test every day. I usually do mine every other day. Having the LQ allows me to go a while without adding chlorine. It might be something you want ot look at. It's much less expensive than a SWCG.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit