Pump will not start

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
So I came home to my pool today not circulating. Pump not running. Went out to controller and try cycling the button no and off with no effect. Everything else works on the control panel. Just not the pump. Any ideas or thoughts on how to fix this? Also what should I do with the pool in the time my pool pump is not in operation?

Not sure how to remedy the pump issue, but if you happen to have a robot or neighbor that has one, you can use that to keep circulation going while you troubleshoot, otherwise a sump pump or similar device could help. :(

Breakers fine. Power is available to the controller and all other functions work. Cycled the breaker on an off a few times just to be sure. I have a voltmeter. How do I test to see if there's voltage at the motor?

Okay, so relay trips and you have power. Sounds like the impeller is spinning freely. It could be a bad start capacitor, or it may be possible that you have a flat spot on the motor windings (don't ask me how I know that, and yes, it can hit that spot repeatedly and not turn the motor!).

Keep troubleshooting; you'll find it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Bruce. I'm not really sure where to look next though regarding this issue. I'm guessing I want to ensure I have power at the pump when I hit the button and the relay trips. If so how would I go about verifying this? What would be your next steps?

I would suspect that there should be a rear cover which can be opened for wiring. That is where you can find the power connections at the motor. You should be able to check for voltage on the wires at the terminals when the relay kicks in. You won't need to disconnect them, just connect your meter leads and set the AC Volts setting, on a scale suitable for 120 or 240, whichever you have. Oh, and be careful. Dangerous live voltages and such.

Follow Ohm_Boy's lead for the capacitor. Like he said, watch the load with this when working!

If you turn the impeller a bit and then hit the "switch" to fire the relay and turn the pump on and it takes, then you can suspect the windings. I have a flat spot on mine currently, and I have hit it three days in a row on occasion. I am usually home when my pump kicks on, so I go out and give it a spin and it fires right up. One day I need to go take care of that......

It was a start capacitor as you had mentioned above Bruce. I didn't have time to let the pool sit out of commission while I was at work so I just had someone come take a look. Replaced that and all good to go. Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.