Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water escaping thru backwash line when pump is on

1. Back To Top    #1

water escaping thru backwash line when pump is on

I have seen variations of my question on here, but I need help with fix.
    I have a Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter. When the pump is running, I can walk to the front yard and hear the water escaping through the backwash line.
    I have been told that I need to replace the "bottom O-ring" and that it is an easy fix.
    When I look at the diagram of my filter online, I see an awful lot of O rings and I am not sure which one is the "bottom O-ring".

Is there somewhere I can go for detailed instructions for taking apart and putting back together the section that needs the replacement o-ring?

Will Leslie's carry this replacement part in the Dallas metro?

Thank you!
    18K gallon Pebble Pool and spa/ Hayward H400IDL Heater/ Hayward Pro Grid 48 ft Vertical Grid DE Filter / Aquarite Chlorine Generator / 2 HP Hayward Northstar Pump /
    New pool owner since 2009

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water escaping thru backwash line when pump is on

Welcome to TFP!!

Leslies should carry the SP 715-D spider gasket you need (if you pipes are 1 1/2" it's a SP 710 - X-D)

One of the spokes on your 'wagon wheel' gasket (A/K/A spider gasket) is warped most probably.

Procure the recommended gasket and we'll talk you through what to do with it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

I have the two-position 2" slide valve if that makes a difference. Not the Vari-Flo or Selecta-Flo.

I pull the valve up for backwash and down for normal filtration.

Don't know how much that info matters except it seems this is where the blown part must reside.

Going to Leslie's now.
    18K gallon Pebble Pool and spa/ Hayward H400IDL Heater/ Hayward Pro Grid 48 ft Vertical Grid DE Filter / Aquarite Chlorine Generator / 2 HP Hayward Northstar Pump /

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a horse of another color. SPX0410Z1 is the bottom, SPX0410Z2 is middle one, and the SPX0722GH is the top one.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

That helps I believe. Leslie's sold me a Hayward SP410 kit. It contains 4 O-rings. One is very tiny, the size of my pinky finger around. The other three are a little less than a soda can size and vary slightly in thickness.

Leslie's thought there might be 2 screws on the top of my slide valve assembly, but I am not seeing any. Should I be able to twist the base that the push/pull handle comes out from? It has ridges that might indicate this is the method.

Once I get this valve assembly open, I imagine it may be obvious where the rings should go. And I know I should lube the rings. Any other advice?

6. Back To Top    #6

My book only shows 3. Please let us know which went unused.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.