Help! Guamguy left on deployment.....

Sep 21, 2010
....and I am OVERWHELMED. I have visited the "pool school", I'm not too worried about the chemistry, but the actual pump and whatnot, well, I'm scared of it. I just ran the pump and after an hour did the ph and chlorine tests which were fine.

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but an OPEN valve, the handle would be flush with the pipe, correct? I'm just scared I'm going to blow something up. :?

Oh my name is Casie by the way, and Brian (Guamguy) is my husband. If you didn't already catch that :mrgreen:

Welcome to TFP, and don't panic :mrgreen: .

Many valves are open when the handle is at 90 degrees to the pipe. What brand are the valves? The white PVC valves with red (usually) handles are open when the handle aligns with the pipe. Some black valves designed for pool use are different.

If you can take some pictures of the equipment and post them, that would be a big help. Watch your pressure gauge. It will tell you if you have something closed that should be open.

For information, here is Guamguy's sig with pool information:

12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spill-over spa.
1HP Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa pump. 12 spa jets. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
2 returns. Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter (63 GPM). 2" Plumbing all around, TF-100 test kit.
Link to pics of my pool! my-oasis-t26558.html

Well, if a valve is off on the inlet side, you won't get any return flow to the pool - easy to see. If the valve is shut on the pressure side of the pump, you'll see the pressure on the filter rise significantly. Knowing that, you should be able to determine what is open and closed.

Hi Guamgal. You came to the right place to let these folks help you out b/c they know of what they speak. As for the husband being deployed, I am with you b/c my husband just got back from deployment. Hope yours isn't gone too long. You can handle whatever is thrown at you, just take it one day at a time and things will be good. He will be back before you know it! Enjoy that pool. You will be a liberated woman when he returns. Dazzle him with your pool knowledge and hypnotize him with "sparklypoolitis". :salut:

I remember when i first got into pools. I was just the "helper" and when the guy i was helping quit, the boss made me "crew cheif" :hammer: So it was me ( 2 months in training) and a new kid ( A week in training), pulling up to jobs with $80,000-$100,000 gunite pools in very wealthy neighborhoods. Just looking at all the different pipes, valves, filters and duhickys used to make me feel like i was going to pass out... i had NO IDEA what the "heck" i was doing!!!! ANYWAY.. the point is a few years later i now own my own service company and i laugh when i think of how scared i used to get... Its like anything else Miss Casie, once you understand how Something works its smooth sailing. You'll do just fine while hubbys out & please thank him for serving our country!! :super:

ANytime you have a question about a valve or anything just take a picture of it, post it here and we can tell you what to do... word :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.