Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Guamguy left on deployment.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Guamguy left on deployment.....

....and I am OVERWHELMED. I have visited the "pool school", I'm not too worried about the chemistry, but the actual pump and whatnot, well, I'm scared of it. I just ran the pump and after an hour did the ph and chlorine tests which were fine.

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but an OPEN valve, the handle would be flush with the pipe, correct? I'm just scared I'm going to blow something up.

Oh my name is Casie by the way, and Brian (Guamguy) is my husband. If you didn't already catch that

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Guamguy left on deployment.....

Welcome to TFP, and don't panic .

Many valves are open when the handle is at 90 degrees to the pipe. What brand are the valves? The white PVC valves with red (usually) handles are open when the handle aligns with the pipe. Some black valves designed for pool use are different.

If you can take some pictures of the equipment and post them, that would be a big help. Watch your pressure gauge. It will tell you if you have something closed that should be open.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Ditto what John said. Welcome to TFP and don't panic.

We are TFP and we are here to help!

Pictures will help and ask any specific questions you may have.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

For information, here is Guamguy's sig with pool information:

12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spill-over spa.
    1HP Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa pump. 12 spa jets. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    2 returns. Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter (63 GPM). 2" Plumbing all around, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! my-oasis-t26558.html
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, if a valve is off on the inlet side, you won't get any return flow to the pool - easy to see. If the valve is shut on the pressure side of the pump, you'll see the pressure on the filter rise significantly. Knowing that, you should be able to determine what is open and closed.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi Guamgal. You came to the right place to let these folks help you out b/c they know of what they speak. As for the husband being deployed, I am with you b/c my husband just got back from deployment. Hope yours isn't gone too long. You can handle whatever is thrown at you, just take it one day at a time and things will be good. He will be back before you know it! Enjoy that pool. You will be a liberated woman when he returns. Dazzle him with your pool knowledge and hypnotize him with "sparklypoolitis".
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys! I'm obsessivly reading "pool school". Brian left me a manual that I need to print out, I probably should have done that before the panic!

8. Back To Top    #8

Panic helps nobody. We like Brian. His shares have been valuable in the past. I expect our helping you will have similar results. By helping others, we help our selves.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

9. Back To Top    #9

I remember when i first got into pools. I was just the "helper" and when the guy i was helping quit, the boss made me "crew cheif" So it was me ( 2 months in training) and a new kid ( A week in training), pulling up to jobs with $80,000-$100,000 gunite pools in very wealthy neighborhoods. Just looking at all the different pipes, valves, filters and duhickys used to make me feel like i was going to pass out... i had NO IDEA what the "heck" i was doing!!!! ANYWAY.. the point is a few years later i now own my own service company and i laugh when i think of how scared i used to get... Its like anything else Miss Casie, once you understand how Something works its smooth sailing. You'll do just fine while hubbys out & please thank him for serving our country!!

ANytime you have a question about a valve or anything just take a picture of it, post it here and we can tell you what to do... word
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all. I am starting to feel more comfortable, and I'm not running back to the pumphouse every few minutes obsessively checking if I did it right. Well, not as much anyway.

11. Back To Top    #11

You're getting the hang of it. Maybe I'll leave it to you once I get home
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

12. Back To Top    #12

She'll be fine! All of them on this site will take care of her and get her through any questions and concerns.
    Brian, thank you!!! and thank you to all other veterans and active military!
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump