Liquidator Stopped Liquadating

mrafal

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 2, 2007
Austin, TX
This has me a bit baffled. I have had my Liquidator running very successfully for several seasons. Just over the past few week, I noted that it was no longer keeping up with the chlorine demand. First thought it was all the debris from recent rains. Now I notice that the chlorine bed is not going down. The water flow, as measure by the flow meter is correct. Both of the float valves are working properly. Water is clearly flowing through the tank. But no chlorine is being drawn from the bed. The bed usually drops gradually and I top it off every four or five days. It has been about 10 days and no drop.

Any ideas or similar experience? I'll probably break it down and clean everything and start it up again. But I do not see any "white stuff" around the valves and have not had problems with build up in the past. I'm sure a clean and restart will get it back to normal, but I am really curious what could stop the diffusion of chlorine out of the chlorine bed.

As long as water is flowing in and out of the LQ the higher concentration bed has to diffuse into the lower concentration liquid.

Did you make any modifications to the unit? (such as the upgrade)

Have you changed brands of chlorine lately?
Have you added scented or other speciality chlorine lately?

No changes of late to the Liquidator. I did replace my filter about a month ago, but I have gone through a few jugs of bleach since that unscheduled repair. None of the plumbing changed and the flow was the same with the new filter.

Using the same Chlorox unscented from Costco.

I think the chlorine from Costco is either 4 or 5%. How many gallons do you toss in? What has the air and pool temperature been in your area? Also, make sure your flow meter ball is not stuck. Disconnect the hose going to the pump basket (out) and make sure you have flow while you are running.

Sal may be onto something. I'd definitely bump the flow meter to make sure the ball isn't stuck or even adjust the flow valve a bit to make sure it'll change with the flow.

Even using weak bleach, you'd still see the bed level go down over time it just might not keep the same FC level as before.

salp said:
I think the chlorine from Costco is either 4 or 5%. How many gallons do you toss in? What has the air and pool temperature been in your area? Also, make sure your flow meter ball is not stuck. Discount the hose going to the pump basket (out) and make sure you have flow while you are running.

Mine hangs occasionally. A little tap frees it up.

I took mine out completely! Since I have to check with my test kit to really know what is going on in my pool, I saw no need for the flow meter. It's a nice visual, but that's about it. I'd rather test and know than rely on a little floating ball!

simicrintz said:
I took mine out completely! Since I have to check with my test kit to really know what is going on in my pool, I saw no need for the flow meter. It's a nice visual, but that's about it. I'd rather test and know than rely on a little floating ball!

I have to run my valve on a different setting for long-term solar on/solar off times, so I need to be able to see where I'm setting. My flow seems really touchy, with 4 being perfect for my pool, but slightly above 4 emptying the tank in a day.

My solar cycles on and off by itself, so it can really be challenging sometimes on the flow, as you say. I just pick a happy medium and check the chlorine level often (I did it once 5 times in one day, and my wife thought that was a little excessive. Sheesh :roll: ).

You must be running on the upgrade, huh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.