Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine smell after using blanket

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine smell after using blanket

We haven't used the solar blanket all summer, but now it gets pretty cool at night, so it is on for a few days or even a week at a time. We haven't had any problems all year, keeping the chlorine at 40-45%. Why is it that once the cover goes on for any period of time the chlorine smell and burning eyes appear? Is it as simple as the sun is not burning off the old combined chlorine?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine smell after using blanket

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar
    Is it as simple as the sun is not burning off the old combined chlorine?
    That's what I would suspect. Do you have test results? I would think you have some CC's in there.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you have test results? I would think you have some CC's in there.
    Yep-er-doodle....I concur.

If they aren't much (probably not). A little sunlight will help burn them off. So will elevated FC levels.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Should I shock everytime I smell it or just leave it with some sun time?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

5. Back To Top    #5

I suggest the Overnight FC Loss Test to decide whether you need to shock. If overnight loss is okay, then sun time would take care of your CC buildup and that's the end of it.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

The first place I'd start is by posting a full set of test results. You said "keeping the chlorine at 40-45%.". We don't measure chlorine in percent so that number bothers me a little.

While I suspect the same thing as the other posters we really need to see the big picture and test results will give us that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The first place I'd start is by posting a full set of test results. You said "keeping the chlorine at 40-45%.". We don't measure chlorine in percent so that number bothers me a little.

While I suspect the same thing as the other posters we really need to see the big picture and test results will give us that.
    Sorry, the 40-45% is the number my salt system is set to. I use that all summer and never have any problems. The only time I get the smell is after the cover has been on. I'll try to do a test tonight.

8. Back To Top    #8

Haven't had a chance for the test. We had a real nice day today, so took the cover off this morning and jumped in after work. Problem solved, no stink. Is there some way to avoid the CC build up with the cover on? We are getting into much cooler temps these days and I expect the solar blanket to be on more than not. Is there some way to avoid a stinky pool for the 4-5 nice days left in the season?

9. Back To Top    #9

Without test results it's hard for us to "guess" at what will solve your problem but with your lack of testing I suspect you're not keeping your FC high enough. Realize, that's just a SWAG since I don't know any numbers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Without numbers its hard to suggest anything other than a shock of the pool which may not be required...get yourself a kit ASAP!

However I can suggest a good cleaning of the cover as a first start, dirt accumulates on it and the top can be a source of algae since it never sees chlorinated water. Clean the top off toward the skimmer with the hose and scrub with a brush to get the dirt out of the seams etc. Next submerge the cover with the long handle brush to get chlorinated water onto the surface to kill anything growing there but you may need to raise your FC up to take care of it and provide some FC overhead which your SWG may not be able to provide.

Did I mention you need a kit to test your water? You really can't do anything at this point until you know what you have for numbers. READ POOL SCHOOL!
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

11. Back To Top    #11

That happens to me, too. All summer long I wasted R-003, never got a CC reading. I put I cover on to keep the heat in, and the first time I tested after the cover was on, I got .5 CC. With cover pulled off to vacuum, CC disappeared the same day. And this is consistent.

So, like others have said, the chlorine is attacking the debris that still gets in the pool, forming combined chlorine, but their is no air flow and no UV to allow it to dissipate.

As long as the FC stays above minimum, I ain't worrying.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Just to reiterate... I'm sure you get tired of seeing all the "you need to post numbers" and "you need to test" posts.

Your salt generator is adding chlorine (free chlorine) to your pool constantly when running, and that may be sufficient for your pool, or may be too much, or not enough. You seem to have something in the pool which the free chlorine is attacking, and forming chloramines or combined chlorine (CC), but there is no way to know the eco-system in your pool without some real numbers. Maybe all you need is some sun. Or maybe you have a serious problem lurking in your water.
    Your pool may even have a significant algae bloom, and the constant addition of FC via the SWG could be *just* holding it in check. That would be using up virtually all the chlorine being generated - an equilibrium. Algae doesn't become visible, FC doesn't stay in the pool. An overnight loss test reveals this. If this is the case, then you should elevate the FC level to shock target, and hold it there until no further overnight loss occurs.

Your target levels will be determined by the CYA (stabilizer) level of your water.

Without knowing SOMETHING about your water chemistry, we can only offer guidelines and guesses. Get us some test results, and we can tell you pretty much exactly what you have and need.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm with Ohm Boy. If you've read Pool School, this very point is addressed in the 1st article.

pool-school/read_before_you_post

Without numbers, our guess is as good as yours.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

When combined chlorine is formed it will eventually off gas into the atmosphere, which is the chlorine smell. Whe you have a cover on the pool, it is preventing, or slowing down the provess.
    By achieving Breakpoint chlorination will speed up the process of the offgas.
    Sincerely,

Rob Estell
    NSPF CPO Instructor
    www.thepoolpros.com
    Follow me on Twitter @robestell
    Find me on Facebook.com/robestell