Thread: Prefab Outdoor Fireplace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Prefab Outdoor Fireplace?

I am looking to build an outdoor fireplace this fall, kind of like this:

I am close to settling on one made by FireRock-
    http://www.firerock.us/builder/fireR...ms/outdoor.php

or Eldorado Outdoor-
    http://www.eldoradostone.com/outdoor/

Does anyone have any experience with this type of pre-built, modular fireplace? Any other brand I should look at?

I am going with pre-built due to many internet postings about how the geometry of the firebox and flue need to be very accurate for good draw, etc. Having a local mason do this would be hit or miss, plus much heavier than the FireRock.
    new in 2009 - 18' x 36' IG vinyl liner, 23,300 gallons
    24" sand filter w/ 1.5hp pump
    Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Prefab Outdoor Fireplace?

You might look at a drop-in firebox for comparison.
    Stone masons will still need to build around the firebox and construct the chimney/hearth.

This is what I did. The dimensions are standard - you can easily look them up in a table. Since the firebox and flue diameter are set, the only
    thing you need to make sure is correct is the height of the chimney. It ends up being higher than most people think when you look it up.

I don't know much about the pre-built fireplaces you linked to. They look nice. Are you able to choose from a wide variety of stone? I very much
    like the native limestone we used, which is common here in Texas.
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll do some research based on your info.
    You can cover the firebox with anything you want. I've also seen the opening changed to an arch design.

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are some pictures from my project of the firebox that they dropped in and the completed work. The fireplace/chimney was framed with 2x4's and covered in OSB prior to stoning it. We also did an arch top - they simply cut a 2x6 to use as a template. A couple of drawbacks - right behind the arch top you can see the black metal of the drop-in firebox. On a true hand-built arch top fireplace, you wouldn't see that I don't think. It doesn't bother me and looks just like the one in my house. The other thing to think about is that the firebrick that is inside the firebox is an imitation firebrick - it is actually a stamped sheet, so you don't see a different colored mortar/grout line. It's definitely a detail, but there is also a substantial cost savings. If you are wondering what the rectangular cutout above the fireplace on the chimney is, that is where I have finished out and hung a flat screen TV.

=====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

5. Back To Top    #5

Looks great, and significantly less than the pre-fab concrete fireboxes!
    I also liked the tongue and groove ceiling and exposed framing.

6. Back To Top    #6

We are planing on an outdoor fireplace as well. We talked about just building a fire pit but wanted something more substanial so I think we have decided on a prefab model from Woodland direct. I thought it was a pretty good deal....

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoo...door-Fireplace
    My Intro Page: tfp-wanna-be-checking-in-t27499.html
    20K Gal IG Pool - Resurfaced 11/14 w/ Super Blue Diamond Brite
    I test with TF-100 and SpeedStir
    1.5Pentair / 36sq DE filter
    Polaris 380 (love this thing)