Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water flow to solar

1. Back To Top    #1

Water flow to solar

Every winter I:

1. Turn off "solar" heat option on indoor panel for pool and spa (Intellitouch)
    2. Unplug a connector that says "solar" on the circuit board in outside panel ("pool guy" said that was right)
    3. Remove end cap on roof at lowest point to drain roof.

When I do this the system runs with no water coming out the open pipe (where I removed cap) so I assumed I stop flow to the solar.

BUT

I have to have a gutter replaced due to a slow leak from a pressure relief valve that pooled pool water in the sagging gutter and rusted it. I cut the two pipes to the roof and despite following above steps water was flowing from both pipes when pool pump came on.

What the heck?

Bob
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water flow to solar

The pipes to the right go to the south side where there are two more panels.
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a manual shut-off valve between the pump/filter and the lines leading up tot he solar? It is possible that the plumbing was done in such a way that some water would flow up, at least until the static head of the solar system equalized with the head of water returning to the pool.

Anyway, a photo of the plumbing coming from the filter and going to/past the solar would help.
    Geometric 16X36', 16K gal, shotcrete, exposed aggregate plaster, acrylic coated concrete deck/cantilever coping;
    Pentair equipment suite (EasyTouch w/wireless, 2 Intellibrites, Intelliflo VS-3050, C&C 200 Filter, IC-40 SWG);
    Heliocol solar panels, Rocky's Roller, Blue Diamond robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Duh--

No I'm getting old! I only closed the valve out of the pump but not a second valve that branches off the piping that goes from filter pump to gas heater - it branches off before heater and goes into ground - anyway - I've capped the pipes. After I cut them later (after gutter repair) I'll see what flows as I close one at a time- and re-post with a shot of the pumps/valves which way this water is flowing!
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob