Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I use Travertine Tile in my Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I use Travertine Tile in my Pool?

We are picking out the tile for around the waterline of the pool.

We have found some travertine tile that we would like to use, however my wife had heard that it is not good to use marble/travertine under the waterline because it will breakdown.

Has anyone here had experience with Travertine in the water?

Also what size of tile should we use and how far down from the coping should the tile go? We have the option to use either 2" or 4" tile. Should we use 2,3, or 4 - 2" tiles or 1 or 2 - 4" tiles.

Todd Paroline

Superior Fence and Rail of Brevard County
    1730 Baldwin Dr. Merritt Island, FL 32955

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Can I use Travertine Tile in my Pool?

Hey, Todd,

If you keep your water chemistry correct, I believe you could use travertine because of your hard freezes.

However, it'll still have some drawbacks. Algae loves to find little nooks and crannies in which to flourish and you are providing that with's manageable but a troublesome issue.

Also, because of the softness and permeability of travertine, it will be far more prone to stain than other tiles.

For me, the practical disadvantages would outweigh the appearance, but that's ultimately your call.

Porcelain tile is the most moisture resistant and stain resistant so I would suggest looking there first.

Most scum line tile comes down about 6" with the water line hitting the tile about the midpoint.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

My 2 cents is I wouldnt use it; it's too soft. The mason who put my limestone coping in said that limestone is the softest he would put in. He said he has seen travertine on, in, and around pools and it doesnt hold up well. But then again I'm in New England where it gets cold and freezes, so YMMV in warmer climates.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    League City, Texas

Hi, Todd...I used travertine for my coping (sealed it with Dry Treat), but put a marbelized double glazed ceramic tile on my waterline. It looks very much like my travertine without the worry and hassle. Click on my pool build link to see it. It's been a win/win for me since I wanted an all-natural stone and glass look for the pool, but easier upkeep. HTH.
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build