blowing out lines/ antifreeze

filix

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2010
maine
Pool closing
I started playing around with blowing my lines out. I think I maybe on to it. I removed the plug from the filter, then took out that clear tube that has the copper and titanium eco smart bars. That gave me access to my three eyeball returns. I stuck the vacum hose in there and turned it on. You could see the cover moving in all three spots. I then pulled back the cover to reveal one return and watched. I let the air blow for about 10 minutes. Then I waited five minutes and blew them out for ten more minutes. I took that one eyeball of and put one winter cover on. They are plastic with an o ring. Are these good? I have one gallon of antifreeze made for pools, that the previous owner left. Do I take a funnel and small hose and pour some antifreeze down each return?
Will it just run back into the pool?

I blew out all three eyeball returns. Next I tried blowing out the sideport by closing the valve to the skimmer. The sideport is about 2 1/2 feet down in the pool from the cement deck. But its still about 20" under water. There doen't seem to be any thing to unscrew. I tried giving it a twist and broke a little piece off. The only way it seems you can take it off is by taking out four stainless screws. But I would have to go in the water to get the leverage. Someone here said you can keep the air going while you shut the valve. But how much water would get back in to that line? Its close to the pump, about ten feet. Could I just dump a gallon of antifreeze in that line to mix with what ever water gets back in?

The water line is below all three. I can take them off and on again. I thought I was supose to add some antifreeze just in case there was a little water left. They only thing thats giving me trouble is that side port. Kind of a main drain on the side? that one is under water and it doesn't seem to unscrew. Looks like the only way it will come off is to remove four screws. But I will have to get in the water for that. Dont know how else to do it. Filix

It is starting to make sence to me, the fact that the side suction wont come off easy. Maybe its a saftey thing. Since kids are getting stuck to these things. Their hair getting stuck ect.. if someone could unscrew it, they could get their arm in there. I was looking at some on line. They have a much finer mesh now.

I was wrong. It does unscrew. I talked to the man here from the local pool store. I said it wont unscrew. He said try again and use a srewdriver to go through the mesh. He said don't ever take those screws out, I would get water behind my liner. It came off. Then I blew air from the pad end down that sideport line. I let it bubble for a minute. Then while air was still coming out I screwed on the winter cap. Then I filled every line up with antifreeze. Its done! Thanks for the help. filix

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.