what is this u-shaped PVC pipe and why is it spouting off?

JohnZ

Sep 18, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I just joined. I have all sorts of problems, but just one for this forum.

I bought a house with an in-ground pool with an attached spa. Pool built in 1999, but I bought house in 2003. Pool builder is widely reputed to be a clown.

Near the spa we have a u-shaped PVC pipe structure with slits cut in it. For the first time, I start up the spa and water starts pouring profusely from the slits. What is this thing, and why would it start pouring out water after 11 years? I attached a picture.

[attachment=0:28ynq52t]what is this thing.JPG[/attachment:28ynq52t]

Attachments

• what is this thing.JPG
    what is this thing.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 206
That's a pretty small picture, so it is hard to tell! Does the pool have 2 (or more) pumps? Was it the jet pump that you turned on? Are the slits from a tool (saw, etc.) or are they cracks in the pipe?

I am going to guess at this point that this is the air line for the spa jets. Weird place to put it, and odd in configuration, but that is my guess. Try running the pump a little longer and see if the water stops squirting out. It may need to purge to draw the air, and then it should be fine.

I agree with Bruce. I think water is coming out of the slits because there is something obstructing the jet opening. Not completely obstructing, just enough to disrupt the water flow, and cause a back up of water. With the disruption, there is no where else for the water to go but up the air line. Did you recently put eyeball fittings on the jets?

I just saw your post about the re-plaster work also. Now I am going to guess that the plaster company left some plaster in some of the jets and it is causing pressure (like Pool Clown suggests). Take a look at each jet and see what you can see. It will be easier to see (if your spa is raised) if you dump the spa water in to the pool and climb in the spa.

I was going to guess a Hartford loop but Bruce is right, the picture is way too small to tell for sure. Do you have a spa blower?

Thanks for the replies. Bigger picture attached, but size limits on web site...

I have a spa blower, but it runs off my main pump. The slits were there from the get-go. It is running the blower that causes the water spewing problem.

I always wondered what's the best way to take off the jet covers without tearing them up... Channel locks bust up the plastic fittings. In addition to checking for chunks of plaster obstructing the jets, I need to replace a universal wall fitting for a new Polaris.[attachment=0:1zbgyw0g]bigger u-thingy.JPG[/attachment:1zbgyw0g]

Attachments

• bigger u-thingy.JPG
    bigger u-thingy.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 190
Yes, it's a Hartford loop. The 2nd picture -- in my reply, is bigger. I has uneven slits cut into the sides. Once I read up Hartford loops, I relaized that's what I have.

The spa did just get new ball fittings with the plaster job. I was running the main pump through the hot tub jets, but it was the blower that caused the water eruption. Also, I thought the blower only pushed air into the floor jets - not the ball jets on the walls (I could easily be mistaken).

After the new plaster job, I remember seeing busted up plaster in the floor jets -- those will be tough to clean. No fittings, just holes directly in the plaster. I need to get them off underwater (spa not raised).

My guess is they didn't put the Hartford loop high enough so water gets into the opposite side and then the blower blows water out of the vent. If it isn't a lot of water, then you might just leave it alone but raising the loop would probably fix the problem.

The Hartford loop is usually put in the gunite above the waterline, and the air line is usually put back at the equipment pad or buried in a planter somewhere. This is the first time I have seen both (or even one) put in the middle of the lawn :shock:

Floor jets are notorious for having stuff fall down into them and plugging (the main reason I do not like floor jets). If you let the water drop in your pool a bit you can still pump the spa water (spa suction/pool return) into the pool so that you can work dry. You might be able to get a ShopVac in there to help out.

Since the OP has a blower, I assume that the venturi air vent is at the pad with the blower on it. However, it looks like the PB put in a second air vent to break any siphon that may occur in the Hartford loop instead of using a blower check valve which would have been better. The way he did it, not only wastes blower air out the second vent but it looks like the loop is pretty close to water level so it is no wonder water gets into the wrong side. Really, the spa side line should have a blower check valve and the extra vent removed. That way water cannot get over the loop.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.