Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: will cya hurt the lawn?

1. Back To Top    #1

will cya hurt the lawn?

Hello friends,

I am about to dump some of my water to lower my 80 ppm cya level. I was wondering if I could use the water from my pool to irrigate my Saint Agustin lawn. I live in S. Cal and we are currently experiencing a drought. My FC level is at 2 ppm. PH is at 7.6

Please advice,
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: will cya hurt the lawn?

Mine seems none the worse for several soakings. And get this - my CYA is now down to 90.

I hope you let the chlorine run low intentionally just for this pumpout/lawn watering, because that's waaaaaay too low to maintain with CYA, well, anywhere.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Soil bacteria (those that survive the chlorine onslaught, so migrate in later) will love the CYA "food" you give to them and will break it down to ammonia giving your lawn an extra nitrogen (fertilizer) boost though the quantity is rather low.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Mine seems none the worse for several soakings. And get this - my CYA is now down to 90.

I hope you let the chlorine run low intentionally just for this pumpout/lawn watering, because that's waaaaaay too low to maintain with CYA, well, anywhere.

Yes! that is correct. my intention was to lower the FC so that the water there will be less FC for the lawn.

Thanks,

George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Soil bacteria (those that survive the chlorine onslaught, so migrate in later) will love the CYA "food" you give to them and will break it down to ammonia giving your lawn an extra nitrogen (fertilizer) boost though the quantity is rather low.

Thanks for the tip! I will start dumping asap.

Thanks,