Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Compool 3400 to EasyTouch Upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

Compool 3400 to EasyTouch Upgrade

My (very old) Pentair UltraFlow pump died a few days ago. My automation system is a Compool 3400. I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade the pump to an Intelliflo VS-3050, and also bought the Compool to Easytouch upgrade system with 1 new hard-wired panel. A have a few assumptions I was hoping you brainiacs could verify, and also a few questions. Thanks in advance for your advice!

1. The VS-3050 manual recommends direct-wire to circuit breaker. The Compool setup has the pump wired to a high-voltage relay (breaker to relay; relay to pump). I'm assuming I can bypass the relay with the EasyTouch and go right to the pump, then connect the pump controller cable to the EasyTouch panel for control of on/off & speeds. Yes?

2. The existing setup has a water-temp sensor, and I now have a new sensor with the new equipment. Can I just use the old/installed one (Compool standard issue), or must I use the new one with the EasyTouch? (I don't want to assume the hole in the return-line is the same size for both, and want to minimize the PVC cutting and replacing.)

3. I have a spa-side wired-remote (4 push-switches) with the Compool, 1 switch each for pump, heat boost, lights & air-blower. It's 6-wire, which is what the EasyTouch calls for as well - anyone know if I can re-use the existing remote, or is it not compatible with ET?

4. Everything with the existing install is glued PVC - no unions at all. I can cut-out and do all new with glue, or take the opportunity to put in a couple of unions - but I also don't want anything to leak. Any opinions on unions in general? Do I need to use a lubricant on the union gaskets (as with the pump-strainer and DE filter O-rings?

5. Seems the old Compool remote (wired) panel and new EasyTouch panel should be plug & play with the existing modular (6-conductor) cable and connector. True?

And finally, any other experience-based advice? You guys always have tons of relevant info, and I'm anxious to learn BEFORE I make a series of mistakes!

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Compool 3400 to EasyTouch Upgrade

1) Yes

2) No, the probes are different. The hole should be a 3/8". If it's a 1/4", drill it larger. No biggie. Really.

3) No, The spa sides are different.

4) I don't remember if there is a height difference. If the pump's suction port is higher, you may, if possible, lower the pad or ankle the suction lines and replumb. Hope you don't have a flooded suction. Fit flush unions. measure twice and cut once. They won't leak if you keep lateral tension off and don't connect too short a piece of pipe. No lube required. The faces of the union are locked and don't move. No lube needed. Hayward unions are pretty compact. All unions, I have found, try to push off the pipe when gluing. Remember to hold the pipe tight.

5) The ET Indoor remote is wired to a terminal block. No connector. 4 light gauge wires. Using the existing wires is how it's done.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Compool 3400 to EasyTouch Upgrade

Thx Scott!

I successfully got everything installed yesterday - no leaks! I left the spa-side remote in place (I didn't order a new one when I got all the other stuff), so I didn't wire it at the panel - no big deal. (I'll have to figure out how to get the old one off, and a new one in place - I think the old one is glued to a PVC riser that was likely cut flush.)

Now on to programming. Reading the "documentation", it's like the writer either never worked with pools or spoke english (or maybe both!).

I have 3 valve actuators (intake, return, and cleaner (old Ray-Vac)). They're hooked to the board as intake, return & aux valve "A". I also have a the spa air-blower and lights hooked to aux 1 & aux 2, respectively. Both use an electrical relay's.

Old panel had discrete buttons set up for spa, pool, cleaner, blower, lights, & a spare. Setting up the new-one, it looks like the "up" arrow is for "pool", then spa is dedicated, then I have buttons I can set as aux1-7. I'm assuming (if I can figure out this "circuit" & "feature" terminology, that I can set up each of the aux buttons as before, and maybe even have a few combo functions assigned to a single button? So, for example, maybe I want the "pool" button (up-arrow) to run the pool filter at a lower pump speed (say 1000 RPM), could I set one of the aux buttons as pool-high, say at 3100 RPM?

Thx in advance again. I'm off to search TFP for some other ideas too - can't be the only one with an EasyTouch, and I'm sure EVERYONE who installs one would have a ton of questions first go-round.