Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noise from the Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Noise from the Motor

I have a 500 gallon hot tub and when I turn on the power everything works perfectly but there is a very loud buzzing noise coming from teh motor. What is causing this and any ideas on how to fix it?

My online plumbing

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: Noise from the Motor

The motor is going to need bearings in all likelihood. Bearings can only get worse and can instill some wobble in the shaft. While some have successfully changed them, I usually swap the motor and seal set. Ignoring it will result in leaks, worn wet end, electrical shorts, or worse.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Just seconding what Scott said about not ignoring it for very long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

This was similar to my case where I ignored the issue of the leak/noise for too long. Now the leak caused rust and made the fix much harder if not economically impossible.
    So, my recommendation is as soon as you notice a leak from the pump or excessive noise, fix it ASAP!
    Trust me, I learned my lesson.
    35k gal 850sq ft french gray plaster, Jandy JEP1.5HP ePump, Pentair 60sq DE filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, 10 Fafco sunsaver 12'x4' panels with Goldline GL35. Laars lite 325k BTU NG heater, Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 LED light. Plumbing: 2" PVC, No main drain, four 1" returns, 1 skimmer with 2 wall drains, one 1.5" suction cleaning port.