Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I just don't get it!

1. Back To Top    #1

I just don't get it!

Okay, I never said I was smart! the Taylor K2006 FAS-DPD kit just confuses the heck out of me. I don't even know if I am doing the Chlorine test correctly. I fill to the 25 mL line,add 2 dippers R-0870, turns pink, then began to ad R-0871, put in 9 drops no change at that point so I stopped to ask you folks. Does it really take more drops? Also did CYA test and did not even come to 100 reading.
    I was successful with Ph test . I also tested with a Chlorine and PH with a Poolmaster kit and HTP kit, on both Ch was 2-3 ppm and ph was 7.4. What am I doing wrong with the Taylor kit? Your help in testing would be Really appreciated. I think I'm trainable. Thanks Mike

PS. Sparkling Clear, no apparent issues. New pool may of 2010
    Mike W. Mesquite NV,
    APP. 10150 Gal, 24' x 14' IG, Plaster over Gunite, Jandy CV460 (cartridge) 2HP, Flow Rate 150 GPM

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I just don't get it!

Welcome...the 25ml sample tests FC in 0.2ppm increments. 9 drops would only be 1.8 FC. You need to keep going and I would suggest using a 10ml sample instead (measures in 0.5ppm increments) to save reagent. On the CYA...that's a good indication it is above 100. Try diluting your pool water 50/50 with tap water and repeat the test, then just multiply by 2.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.. I will get the hang of this! Also, I'm guessing the dipper powder should be level not heaping scoop. I just dipped into Bottle dry and it came out level scoop.
    Mike W. Mesquite NV,
    APP. 10150 Gal, 24' x 14' IG, Plaster over Gunite, Jandy CV460 (cartridge) 2HP, Flow Rate 150 GPM

4. Back To Top    #4

It takes as many drops as it takes to turn it clear. Remember that you're only measuring .2ppm with each drop in the 25ml test, so just an FC of 3 will take 15 drops. It's 5 drops for every one ppm of FC. Also remember that it's not a gradual change either. One drop it's pink the next drop it's almost completely clear.

If a few drops in the cya tube completely obscures the black dot it means your CYA level is very high. You'll need to drain and refill at some point to get it to a measurable range.

Just saying the same thing as the Dman was. only slower!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I need slow!! :0 Thanks. And yes reading bottom up on the tube it took about six drops to hide dot, did not reach first level line of 100. Slow is good
    Mike W. Mesquite NV,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Mike,

You switched tests! Now you're talking about the CYA test. Master the procedure for one test and then go to the next one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

True I am talking about both tests. But I am satisfied at the moment with Chlorine and PH since I can get decent results with the other 2 kits. It is the CYA that concerns me since the pool has only been in since May.. Thanks everybody for helping!! I'll need much more and it's appreciated . Mike
    Mike W. Mesquite NV,