Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Programable Pool Pump Timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Programable Pool Pump Timer

What is the best Programmable Pool Pump Timer where I can program on/off for a weekly schedule :

1. Turn pump on at 9:00 pm and off at 7:00 am Mon-Friday
    2. Turn pump on to run 24 hrs Saturday and Sunday

Also, if the air temperature goes over 80 F I'd like to be able to adjust the schedule so that the pump can
    come on for 3 or 4 hours during the afternoon.
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.MY-POOL.blogspot.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Programable Pool Pump Timer

I have an intermatic timer that does exactly that. I don't remember the model number but it's an electronic timer. I looked on the Intermatic site but couldn't find it listed. It works like a programmable thermostat for your home. You can set it for any 1 day, 5 days + 2 days or all 7 days with multiple cycles per day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama- I'll check it out. Can you remember the cost, did you need an electrician to install at the panel ? Or outside.
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Back To Top    #4

Seems like it was about $60.00 but it may have been a little more. I got it at Lowes. I'm not sure why they had it or if it's a normally stocked item.

I didn't need an electrician to install it but I'm not a good one to ask cause I-R-1!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Bama - I found this on their web site - Looks amazing. Probably very expensive though ...

http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/~/med ... chure.ashx

I'll get a quote for product and installation.

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure you'll be able to find something that adjusts to the outside temp. If you are handy, you could use a programmable A/C thermostat and a contactor. I've thought about using an irrigation timer, but most limit each zone to 99 minutes, so you'd need to program each zone in succession which would be a pain if you wanted to change the program often. And it would not be able to react to temperature.
    25' x 13' Roman, 12000 gal IGP, Plaster, with 500 gal Spa
    SWG, 1 HP Max Flo Pump, C-900 cartridge filter
    Solar heat

7. Back To Top    #7

That's pretty impressive. It uses Z-wave communication which is a protocol developed and marketed by Zenith but has become a standard in the home automation arena. It's 900mhz radio protocol so it's very reliable.

A couple of quick looks puts it about $350.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator