Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to run pump (day vs night)

When to run pump (day vs night)

I'm a new BBB-er. We'd been battling algae for several weeks (lots of chemicals down the drain). I received the TF100 kit last Friday, began shocking on Saturday, and yesterday (Wednesday) I was finally able to clearly see the main drain in my pool. I've been running the pump 24/7, but now that it's cleared up, I want to back down to 8-10 hours per day. Is it better to run the pump during the day or at night?

Jill
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

Re: When to run pump (day vs night)

It's personal preference. I run mine at night because I feel like it is less stress on my pump to run it out of the Florida heat. There are plenty of people who run it during the day also.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

I've always been in favor of running the pump during the day. It helps keep the temperature in the pool constant throughout the water to minimize evaporation. It also helps by keeping the chemicals mixed up while the sun is beating down and using up some chlorine. If your electric rate drops at night, I would try pumping at night to save some $$$.

12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

Here in Ontario Canada we are going to peak and non-peak hours of use (Cost for hydro electricity). If I run the pump from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am I only pay 5 cents per KWhr. If I run it from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm it costs 10 cents per KWhr. (medium rates are 8.8 cents per KWhr)I will be putting my pump on a timer to only come on at night - I did this through the month of August and had no algae issues.

On weekends rates are at 5 cents per KWhr so we run the pump all weekend long. I read in the paper that Ontario may abandon these rates and make everything 1 rate. I'm not sure if any place in the US is experimenting with Electricity rates like this though. Maybe California ?
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.MY-POOL.blogspot.com

It's really a personal choice. I run mine a couple hours during the day just because I don't want it sitting stagnant for the entire daylight hours.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

My pool is about 20,000 gallons, how long do I need to run my pump to keep the water "clean". 8 hrs ?
    I have the Hayward Aquarite Salt Chlorinator, Hayward 300 lb sand filter. I remember seeing a formula somewhere but can't find it.

Pool Temperature is staying around 75 with solar blanket on at night, and removed in the afternoons when it is sunny.
    I was running the 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump 10 hrs at night and so far the readings Chlorine, PH, Alkalinity are perfect.
    I have reduced to 8 hours and the readings are still perfect.... how low can I go ?
    20,000 gallon, Sand Filter, In-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Super II Pump, Natural Gas Heater, Aquarite Salt Chlorine Generator
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I run it during the windy portion of the day, about 3pm-sunset. This helps keep the pool well skimmed & cleaned.

As far as "how long do I need to run my pump to keep the water "clean": just long enough to keep it clean! Rules of thumb are something like minimum 1x per day turnover. I have been running about 0.8 turnover successfully all summer, with 85F+ water temp. Just have to keep an eye on it, don't let it get away from you.

Cheers
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

Acroy has the best answer "long enough to keep it clean!". Every pool and situation is different so there's no set amount of time or turnovers that are perfect for every situation. If 8 hours is doing it for you, you can leave it there or you could lower it to 6 and see if it stays crystal clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

Thanks Acroy, Bama.

What is the formula for 1 x per day turn over with 20,000 gallons ?

Assuming you are getting somewhere around 40 GPM it would be around 8.3 hrs....you would have to adjust for your actual GPM flow rate.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

You have to know your flow rate. Multiply GPM by 60 to get GPH then divide gallons by GPH to get hours for 1 turn.

For instance if your pump flows 50 GPM and your pool is 20,000 gallons the formula is.
    50 X 60=3000 then 20,000 รท 3000 = 6.67 hours for a full turn of the water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Summer I pump during the day for about 10 hours a day. Sometimes it runs extra depending on the use. During the winter I switch the timer to run at night. I do this to minimize the overall pump time in the event of freezing temps starting the pump. I don't need it running during the day if it had been on for a few hours overnight. Also I only pump about 2-3 hours a day during the winter, it's long enough to keep it clean and the Polaris to do its job.
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

Quote Originally Posted by offgrid
    Thanks Acroy, Bama.

What is the formula for 1 x per day turn over with 20,000 gallons ?
    Unless you know or can calculate your flow rate - I suggest start with 10hrs/day summer see how that goes for a week or 2, start going down from there until you get skeered

Personally I'm at about 6hrs runtime, around $40/mo in electricity, and the salt cell can just barely keep up (only makes CL when the pump's running!). I could probably go down a bit more on runtime, but electric savings would be minor, and I'd have to start adding bleach to keep the FC up.
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

Wow - Thanks everybody - Great tips..... temperature dropped to 71 F in pool last night so I ran for 4 hours - I'll check the Chemistry later today and report back.

Ok - checked the pool chemistry after running pump for 4 hrs last night ....

Using Aquachek metre: I get the following readings .....

CL 1.3 ok
    PH 7.3 ok
    ALK 078 low

Guess I better run a little longer to get Chlorine up a bit ....

This is pretty cool - says I need 3 lbs 10 oz of Baking Soda to correct Alkalinity....

http://www.aquachek.com/calc_water_balance.asp

i have been running my pump all day long all summer. I thought the pool store guy told me it was to run all day every day. I didn't know you could not run it for a few hours at a time. Is it bad to run it 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by offgrid
    http://www.aquachek.com/calc_water_balance.asp
    Not nearly as good as Jason's pool calculator. The aquachek calc does not take CYA into the consideration for the suggested FC level, the pool calculator does this. Very important IMHO since that is where most people get into trouble.

http://www.poolcalculator.com
    21k gal SW, IG Gunite PebbleSheen, 1HP Jandy, Jandy 340 filter, Polaris 280, 17' fiberglass slide w/ 2HP pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie88
    Is it bad to run it 24/7?
    Just using more electricity than you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by ginamarie88
    i have been running my pump all day long all summer. I thought the pool store guy told me it was to run all day every day. I didn't know you could not run it for a few hours at a time. Is it bad to run it 24/7?
    The only time I recommend running the pump 24 hours a day is if you have a 2-speed pump and are running it on low. On low speed the electrical uasge for 24 hours is about equal to 6 hours on high speed, plus you are circulating the water all day long. It doesn't necessarily hurt the pump to run it 24 hours a day but it sure hurts your pocket book to run it on high that long.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator