Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to store muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to store muriatic acid

Hello all,

I'd appreciate suggestions on where to store muriatic acid. I had been storing it in a cabinet in the garage until I noticed that the hinge is corroding. Interestingly enough, it's only the hinge near the MA shelf. Afterwards, I moved it to open shelving in the garage but there is now a bit of corrosion on that one shelf too.

I have heard that MA should be stored in a below 70 degree environment. If that's the case, the best I can do is inside my house, but with kids and all, I really would hate to do that.

Where do you all keep your MA?

Thanks,
    Karen
    IG, plaster, 18,500 gallons, DE Filter, Hayward pump, Aqua Rite SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to store muriatic acid

mamacrumbcake, i store mine in the garage in a rubber maid storage bin so during the summer time it gets quite hot but have not had any issues to this point.
    17,800 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, Inground, Blue Granite Pebblesheen Interior, Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 Pool and Spa pump, Pentair Whisperflo 2HP Water Feature pump, Pentair .75 HP Booster Pump for Pentair Legend pool cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch 8-function remote, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can it be kept outside during winter? Or it freezes?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

4. Back To Top    #4

20º Baume (31.45%) can be stored in just about any climate. It freezes at about -40º and boils at about 230ºF (110ºC). It's stable against UV and heat degradation. I store mine outside in a all plastic shaded bin.

You could store it in the sun but the plastic jug will degrade from the UV in sunlight.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, everyone! I'll try the plastic bin and see how it works.
    IG, plaster, 18,500 gallons, DE Filter, Hayward pump, Aqua Rite SWG