Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leak around pipe

1. Back To Top    #1

leak around pipe

Hello,

I am losing about 3/8 inch daily with pump running 4 hours/day. I had to replace the liner due to liner leaks so I really have no clue how much water evap is "normal", but I just got the liner replaced like 2 weeks ago so I am doubtful that is the problem. I had tried the bucket test with a gallon bucket but I must have mismarked something cuz the bucket ended up losing more water than the pool did I have yet to try the bucket test with the pump off, I might do that next (to make sure liner is OK).

But in any case, I noticed that there's this wet spot whenever the pump is running, is this normal? Can someone suggest a way to fix this? It seems that the previous owners used tape around the pipe. Does this pipe just twist off and then I can reseal it with some plumber's tape on the threads (if there are threads?)?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394035@N02/4994177217/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394035@N02/4994174497/
    16' x 32' IG 12K GAL, VINYL
    HAYWARD SUPER II .75 HP
    HAYWARD C-1750 CARTRIDGE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leak around pipe

What is under the tape?
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm guessing its pipe? I didn't want to remove the tape in case it would make the matter worse.

Also - how often should I be lubing the O ring in the pump basket cover? What kind of lube do I use? Thanks.
    HAYWARD SUPER II .75 HP
    HAYWARD C-1750 CARTRIDGE

4. Back To Top    #4

politely bumping...

For the pump basket, I picked up a tube of Jack's 327 lube for the O ring. I shall see how that works out. But I would still like to know how I should go about tackling the leak around the pipe thread connection...
    HAYWARD SUPER II .75 HP
    HAYWARD C-1750 CARTRIDGE

5. Back To Top    #5

You'll have to remove the tape for us to be of much help. I do suspect that it's threaded and you'll have to cut the piping to get it out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like the problem may be with the connector, since the tape covers it and part of the pipe. The connector screws onto the pump. The pipe may or may not be threaded. Your best bet would be to cut the long horizontal pipe on top in half, then remove the section of pipe connected to the pump and replace it. You will also need a new elbow and a small section of pipe to join to the cut end. I would add a union between the cut end and the horizontal replacement piece to make this job easier if it ever happens again.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you. It makes sense to remove the tape to see what's underneath and determine what needs to be replaced. I was hoping it would be somewhat of an "easy" fix. I have never worked with PVC so this also sounds a bit way over my head. I might have the local pool store quote me on a repair or wait till the pump needs to be replaced :P
    HAYWARD SUPER II .75 HP
    HAYWARD C-1750 CARTRIDGE