New Gunite pool in Westchester, NY

Jun 18, 2010
Sept 2010-

Just started a gunnite pool project that will carry over to the spring before we plaster and fill it. Thought I'd post up a few shots and then come back and document it as it progresses.

First shot is where the pool will go. We're going with a pond style pool with a wider 3'-6" area than the deeper 7'-6" end, since the kids will spend more time in the shallow end.
DSC_0009.JPG

Of course, whenever I say "pool" and "pond" in the same sentence, I have to think of Caddyshack and the great scene between Chevy Chase and Bill Murray: "Pool, pond... pond would be good for you, Carl." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmxcmpR1GQA

The excavation begins:
IMG_0239.JPG

We ended up hitting some foundation drains and leader drain runs that had to be rerouted. A call to a mason supply and some 4" pipe and fittings and we rerouted the lines all the way around the pool. It was nice to have the machine for two days to have them trench it out for me so this wasn't an extra (other than the materials).
DSC_0013.JPG

Re: New Gunnite pool in Westchester, NY

Sorry about the non-functional pics there- should be fixed now.

We decided to go with a 8' hot tub that spills over to the pool. One of the big decisions was where to put it- close to the house so it requires the least amount of steps to get to in the cold weather? Or furtherest from the house, so from a visual standpoint we can see the spill-over?
DSC_0018.JPG

We elected for the latter, so it's over on the right. Yesterday the excavator finished up and left us with a nice neat dig and grading job.
DSC_0023.JPG

One of things I discussed with the builder is the location of the mechanicals. We want them out of sight at the furthest-most part of the site, but that ground is about 4-1/2ft of fill. Due to the slope of our site, the far end of the pool is actually 4 feet in the air before the fill from the dig went behind it to slope it out. I did not like the putting them that low and pumping up all the time, but placing it on the fill and tamping-it-down, putting a little gravel down, and then just placing the pre-formed pad doesn't sit right with me. All this fill is going to settle for sure, and maybe wash out some with a rainstorm, and I did not want any stress of the plumbing. One of the reasons I am going across the winter with this is so that I get a full cycle of NorthEast NY frost/thaw and settling so that my fence and patio job stands a chance of staying in place.

So... I think I am going to build a retaining wall I wasn't planning to do around the raised/filled areas of the pool so that it starts on the right at almost nothing, stays level around the back as it gets near the 4ft height, then comes around back towards the house on the left until it goes back to almost nothing. THat'll keep the fill in place and then I can also build a gravel pit for the mechanicals pad that won't go anywhere.

One other thing I've learned from searching this board and chatting with other pool owners is that there's a few things I want back at that mechanical pad.
Water- from the house, to service the equipment, and fill the pool with.
A little fill line from the pad area into the pool just below the coping to top off the water level when necessary
A floor drain at the pad with a waste pipe running to the end of the property for any draining or backwashing operations without killing the nearby grass
Power receptacle in the pad and patio area for whatever
Motion-sensor Lighting back at the pad area

Any other "while-I'm-in-there" that I may have overlooked?

One more post, this one a brief movie clip. Since the back yard was going to be a mess for the next few months, I thought I'd have some fun with the kids taping with the iPhone. Hey, it's my yard, right?

Click on this and let's see if this works (it may take some time to load the video)- otherwise I'll just edit it out:

[youtube:xyicf5ud]aVMSrAHOBF8[/youtube:xyicf5ud]

DSC_0029.JPG

Love the stang.... Is it safe to assume there's a gixxer somewhere too? :goodjob: (former GSXR-750 owner here)

On the pool, the only thing I'd suggest is that if you're already plumbing fresh water to the pad & pool, you might as well do an auto-leveler. How long until you have gunite?

Thanks, Yep, GSXR1100 (also sold) but that's my username on a ton of different forums now.

Today the rebar crew came and incredibly were done in one day. The plumber showed up too, and working with and around the rebar guys, stubbed out the returns and suction lines. Using 2" for the suction drains and skimmers, and 1-1/2" for the returns. Having read some of the other thread on the pipe sizing wars, I hope I will be fine. From what I can interpret from that thread, it sounds like if I ensure that each return is piped by itself without teeing into another one, that 1-1/2 will be fine. [On edit- the builder has agreed to run individual 2" hard PVC runs from each stub back to the pad, so the 1-1/2 is only where is stubs through the wall for the eyebrow fitting.]
If anything looks out the ordinary, please holler. I asked them to stub out for now until I get a retention wall built that is necessary for the mechanicals pad. I believe they will be shooting concrete early next week.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics-
IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

Oh no, you posted pictures of flex pvc. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you what a horrid idea using flex pvc (AKA "the devils plumbing") is. But really you will be fine.

Just wanted to say welcome to TFP neighbor :wave:

You'll find a wealth of pool knowledge on this forum. If you have any $ left after the build, make sure to pick yourself up a TF100 at tftestkits.net in the spring and enjoy reading pool school (button on upper right of this page). Also, if you ever need a pool boy, I'm only about 30 mins north of you :lol: Good luck with the build :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
Just wanted to say welcome to TFP neighbor :wave:

You'll find a wealth of pool knowledge on this forum. If you have any $ left after the build, make sure to pick yourself up a TF100 at tftestkits.net in the spring and enjoy reading pool school (button on upper right of this page). Also, if you ever need a pool boy, I'm only about 30 mins north of you :lol: Good luck with the build :goodjob:

Will do! Let me know how to get in touch with you.
Should be able to post up gunite install pics tomorrow night.

Looking good so far!

With regard to FlexPVC, the concerns from the pros are typically only when flex is not fully encased in concrete. Looks like yours will be in the walls of the spa and embedded in the bottom for your main drains. I think all will be well. Solid pipe is always better, but flex can do fine properly installed. FYI, I have flex to my mains embedded in gunite, too. :)

Good, also, to see that your builder gave you a nice bed of gravel all over the bottom. Many don't. It provides a nice cushion for the gunite and also a bit of shifting and water evacuation without impacting the shell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

gsxrken said:
One other thing I've learned from searching this board and chatting with other pool owners is that there's a few things I want back at that mechanical pad.
Water- from the house, to service the equipment, and fill the pool with.
A little fill line from the pad area into the pool just below the coping to top off the water level when necessary
A floor drain at the pad with a waste pipe running to the end of the property for any draining or backwashing operations without killing the nearby grass
Power receptacle in the pad and patio area for whatever
Motion-sensor Lighting back at the pad area

Any other "while-I'm-in-there" that I may have overlooked?

Hi there~~

Are you planning on having a pool heater or heat pump? You may wish to leave room on the pool pad and even run electric for an addition later. Any chance you might be wanting either an automatic chlorinator or acid dispenser. Now is the time to expand the size of the pad.

As for the lighting back there, some motion detectors can be set off by critters and flying bugs. Consider having simpler manual control lighting so you don't have the lights flipping themselves on and off.

Are you having any water features? Consider the comfort and ease of walking back there in bare feet when you wish to run back and change the valves.

When you position the water source, imagine yourself cleaning out the pump strainer basket. Consider how it will be winterized.

It can't hurt to make a drawing for your builder of your pool pad area layout, so that there are no surprises.

Back at the pool itself, make sure that your in-pool lighting faces away from your house.

Good luck with this exciting project!

Lana

Lana537 said:
Are you planning on having a pool heater or heat pump? You may wish to leave room on the pool pad and even run electric for an addition later. Any chance you might be wanting either an automatic chlorinator or acid dispenser. Now is the time to expand the size of the pad.

As for the lighting back there, some motion detectors can be set off by critters and flying bugs. Consider having simpler manual control lighting so you don't have the lights flipping themselves on and off.
It can't hurt to make a drawing for your builder of your pool pad area layout, so that there are no surprises.
Lana

Thank you for the reply! Your thoughts on the pad are right where I'm at at the moment. Not having any of the equipment on site, I do not know what a good size pad is, and I am on the hook to have it built. I'm thinking 4x8 should be good, but when I look at a piece of plywood on the ground, it doesn't look too big! A Heat pump, a SWG, large 525 SwimClear cartridge filter, pump and air pump for the spa have to all fit on there comfortably. Plus potable water and electrical panel for a Hayward Ps8 automatic valve setup.

I like the idea of a plumbing drawing. I'm sure that will raise an eyebrow or two, and maybe I'll learn something. I've already insisted on hard 2"PVC home runs for every return to the pool after a courteous discussion.

Here's a few shots from gunite day. I then when out and bought 150ft of gardening "soaker hose" and ran it around the perimeter of the pool and spa and have had it running for 7 days now. From what I read, this will really aid in the concrete reaching maximum curing PSI... unfortunately it also took a ton of water and the pool is now 3/5ths full! It's raining out now, and I'll leave it full for a while before I pump it out when the plumber comes to run his stub to the pad.
IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

Heckpools said:
Lershac said:
Oh no, you posted pictures of flex pvc. Someone will be along in a minute to tell you what a horrid idea using flex pvc (AKA "the devils plumbing") is. But really you will be fine.

:goodjob:

Yes, and all the flex is buried in cement so I can't see the termite threat being applicable, either.
One more shot after the heavy rains we had here on the east coast- between that and the soaker hose keeping the pool wet, it got pretty full.
Retaining wall work and pad area construction begin next week hopefully.
web.jpg

Two shots of the retaining wall going up. It snakes around the new fill area to keep it in place, and serves as a finishing touch. I did not like the look of the pool almost sticking out the ground or the raised mound that sloped off steeply back to the original yard. A somewhat unplanned expense, but now it won't nag at me every time I look at it.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Next few updates for the documentary. My pool builder and I discussed a number of options for equipment- pump/filter/heater and landed on what I believe is a nice high-end configuration.

The largest heat pump made by Aqua-Cal http://www.aquacal.com/products/heat-pumps/heatwave-superquiet.html

IMG_0325.jpg

The pump is a Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed that will drive my pool and spa needs. http://www.jandy.com/epump.php

web.jpg

The filter is also a Jandy, their 580ft filter http://www.jandy.com/pdfs/CL_CV_Sell_Tech.pdf

web.jpg

I also stayed with Jandy for the Aqua-Link Rs-8 and a one touch wired control in the house and one at the spa: http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/sell_sheets/RS_Brochure.pdf

Also got a air pump for the spa jets- kind of odd looking deal if you ask me but OK... (its the pump on the vertical pipe closest to the camera
web.jpg

All told, it looks like they did a very nice job with the plumbing (2" everywhere with individual runs to the pad) and electrical with the pad, house control, and a 100 amp sub-panel I needed to have installed to power the pool.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

All looks good, wont nit pick details.

I would however recommend that with this nice pool and your house overlooking - check out the Pentair Intellibrite color changing lights. They are LED and offer amazing color changes.

Also maybe some;

Electrical outlet's or access by your wall for lighting- low voltage
Will you be using an automated pool cleaner. Very happy with my Blue Dolphin- no line needed.
Place to store all your pool junk and kids toys
Plumbing line for outdoor shower- even if it's cold only for feet etc
Spa side control for your spa/lights/blower? I have hard wired and wireless next to my spa.
Electrical grounding wire for your decking?

blakeusa said:
I would however recommend that with this nice pool and your house overlooking - check out the Pentair Intellibrite color changing lights. They are LED and offer amazing color changes.
Also maybe some;
Electrical outlet's or access by your wall for lighting- low voltage
Will you be using an automated pool cleaner. Very happy with my Blue Dolphin- no line needed.
Place to store all your pool junk and kids toys
Plumbing line for outdoor shower- even if it's cold only for feet etc
Spa side control for your spa/lights/blower? I have hard wired and wireless next to my spa.
Electrical grounding wire for your decking?

Thanks! We did get three Intellicare lights- two for the pool and one in the spa.
I haven't figured out lighting yet... but have enough power to the equipment pad to do whatever. Have to nail this before patio goes down, though.
Our spa does have a hard wired control sticking out of the cement, to go along with our hard wired control for the PS-8 in the house. I don't think it can do the lights.
We also do have the grounding wire / bonding wire addressed.
I like the pool toy place idea- I have to do something with camouflaging the pad area, but I don't have any solid ideas yet. I was thinking about a pergola kind of thing with a roof. Still needs more thought.

shakenbake said:
Hard to tell from the pics - is there a 5lb bypass valve on the Aqualcal? You are supposed to have one if your flow rate is over 50gpm. Not a big deal if you are under that max flow rate.

I don't know enough to say... I don't see anything that looks like a bypass valve, though. And I don't know what my flow rate is or will be yet. Can that be figured out "dry"?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.