Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1 closing of the pool question

1. Back To Top    #1

1 closing of the pool question

Does the winter cover also cover the skimmer box? And if the water level should rise...what prevents it from freezing in your skimmer and cracking it? I know to remove the hose so it can drain....but it still concerns me.

1) 8500 Gallons (18 foot, 52 inches deep)
    2) Hayward Cartridge Filter
    3) Above Ground Pool
    4) Hayward 2 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1 closing of the pool question

There are a couple ways of dealing with this. You can replace the skimmer faceplate with one that will accept an Aquadoor (basically a Tupperware lid for the skimmer mouth - this keeps pool water out of the skimmer.

Or you can install a Gizzmo in the skimmer port - it screws in and with a couple wraps of teflon tape will not leak - the Gizzmo is hollow and will collapse if ice forms, thereby protecting the skimmer's walls.

The third method is to just take the hose off the bottom of the skimmer and let any water that enters drain out. You have to refill the pool in the spring after reconnecting the hose, but it's not a lot of water.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Ted just said the same thing I was typing.

Welcome back Ted!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok. Stupid question time. If you leave your hose off of the skimmer (over the winter) and drain the water to the skimmer opening, and if (say for arguments sake) you have enough snow to further push out even more water through the skimmer opening during a 20 degree February week, is there any chance that the skimmer could still be damaged in any way as a result of minor water being still left around the bottom of the skimmer near the hose opening? Thinking to myself that this would be no worse than any random snow getting into the skimmer opening melting and freezing anyways?

I was blindly following advice that the skimmer door should always be put on to keep the skimmer mostly dry over winter to avoid any issues whatsoever.... but then I always worry about whether the water could overflow the pool!

I love my Lake Effect snow, but it does occasionally have its downfalls.
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by docthebiker
    Does the winter cover also cover the skimmer box? And if the water level should rise...what prevents it from freezing in your skimmer and cracking it? I know to remove the hose so it can drain....but it still concerns me.

No, the winter cover should not cover the skimmer or return. Having the cover/wire on the skimmer or return line can damage them (the wire should be above the skimmer and return and below the "turnbuckles" of the pool) Also I agree with waste, save yourself some time and water and install an Aquador
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

What is a Aquador?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jcweis1
    What is a Aquador?
    here

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Aquador
    Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself for he will never cease to be amused.
    To teach is to learn twice.
    My Pool. 20 x 40 120,000 litres (about 30k gal) sand filter, a pump of some type...lol & a bunch of neighbourhood kids.