Re-configure my system

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
The current system is as below, quite complex: 2 pumps, lots of valves, jets, fountain, and floor system, salt cell. Acid dosing as well.

Issues with the current system:
-energy hog
-when both pumps are running, floor system is very strong but jets (and Leaf Devil, not shown) are very weak
-Cannot balance flow between jets & floor system
I normally run just the big 1.5hp nominal pump. The jets are strong, the flow through the SWG and floor system is just adequate. I’m sure there’s excess pressure drop pushing through the stopped 0.75hp pump.

Proposed system:
-Move SWG directly to outlet of DE filter
-Install one new big 2spd pump
-change valving to allow balancing floor system and jets
-run the new pump more hours at lower speed

1)thoughts on the overall plan?
2)Look at my pictures: can I re-use the valves? They look glued to me, in which case I’m out of luck, correct?
3)What am I missing?

Thanks!!

pool9-15-10.jpg

kdk_3699.jpg

kdk_3704.jpg

kdk_3701.jpg

One thing I see that I would change is on the discharge of the SWCG in the proposed system is I'd feed the floor system, jets & fountain all independently (parallel if you will). That way you could turn each one on or off separately and balance between any of them.

I think your proposed plan makes sense. The only potential problem I see is that the pump may not produce enough flow to drive the infloor cleaning system when water is returning to the 4 jets + fountain + infloor system. Obviously manual valves would allow you to correct this problem if you don't mind reconfiguring the valves every time you run the infloor cleaner. Otherwise an automated controller with valve controller would do the trick.

If you are interested in a controller, you could configure it for
1) High speed mode with most flow via skimmers to remove leaves in fall etc.
2) Low speed mode for energy savings and general filtration
3) High speed mode with custom valve configuration to run infloor cleaner.

Keep in mind the low speed on a 2 speed pump will most likely be inadequate to run the infloor system. The high speed will be more than the system probably needs and you will have to bleed off the rest of the flow via the fountain or 4 return jets, a little.

Good Luck!

I might have some good news for you! Jandy Valves are multiple sized for 1.5 and 2" pipe! Right now you have the system setup that they glued 2" fittings onto the jandy valves, but 1.5 pvc can be glued inside the valve. Although if you are looking to keep everything 2" you might be out of luck unless you use a pvc extender fitting.

Bama Rambler said:
One thing I see that I would change is on the discharge of the SWCG in the proposed system is I'd feed the floor system, jets & fountain all independently (parallel if you will). That way you could turn each one on or off separately and balance between any of them.

Thanks - I'm planning to set it up with enough valves that each discharge can be operated independantly. Currently I almost never run the fountain: too much evaporation & pH rise as it is!

learthur said:
I think your proposed plan makes sense. The only potential problem I see is that the pump may not produce enough flow to drive the infloor cleaning system when water is returning to the 4 jets + fountain + infloor system. Obviously manual valves would allow you to correct this problem if you don't mind reconfiguring the valves every time you run the infloor cleaner. Otherwise an automated controller with valve controller would do the trick.
Good Luck!
right - the infloor system is composed of small jets that pop out 2 at a time, 8 total, alternating every 3-sec or so. Oddball system, i don't know it is what is referred to as "infloor cleaner" or not. The jets rotate 15degrees or so each time they pop out. Currently, the SWG goes to floor system only.

Ideally I'd like the skimmers to do most of the suction (skimming effect and run my suction-side vacuum), and most of the return through the jets (not the floor system). I have a "Pool Devil" installed on one of the return jets, best $30 i've spent on the pool, will probably get a second as the fall hits.

Thanks!

X-PertPool said:
I might have some good news for you! Jandy Valves are multiple sized for 1.5 and 2" pipe! Right now you have the system setup that they glued 2" fittings onto the jandy valves, but 1.5 pvc can be glued inside the valve. Although if you are looking to keep everything 2" you might be out of luck unless you use a pvc extender fitting.
Thanks, good to know - I'll probably end up having to replace the valves, nervous about downsizing to 1.5"

Keep in mind that going to a single pump will reduce the head in the floor cleaners so pressure may not be as high as with the two pumps. If you are going this route then I would check the specs on the in-floor to make sure you will have enough pressure to run the heads while running the returns and fountain. You may find that you can only run the in-floor alone, with the returns and and fountain shut off, in order to get the pressure you need for the in-floor heads.

Although not working great right now, the second pump probably enables you to run the returns and fountain at the same time as the in-floor. It just may be that the current pump and plumbing does not allow for high enough flow rates for the returns. Downsizing the return eyeballs would increase the exit velocity of the returns thereby increasing skimming action. This should also help the in-floor cleaners and fountain pressure (higher). The downside is that it is less efficient but that is trade off with better performance.

mas985 said:
Keep in mind that going to a single pump will reduce the head in the floor cleaners so pressure may not be as high as with the two pumps. If you are going this route then I would check the specs on the in-floor to make sure you will have enough pressure to run the heads while running the returns and fountain. You may find that you can only run the in-floor alone, with the returns and and fountain shut off, in order to get the pressure you need for the in-floor heads.

Although not working great right now, the second pump probably enables you to run the returns and fountain at the same time as the in-floor. It just may be that the current pump and plumbing does not allow for high enough flow rates for the returns. Downsizing the return eyeballs would increase the exit velocity of the returns thereby increasing skimming action. This should also help the in-floor cleaners and fountain pressure (higher). The downside is that it is less efficient but that is trade off with better performance.

actually I am 90% sure the system originally had the single 1.5hp pump, with the 2nd pump added with the SWG a few years ago. the 1.5 is a 2.25hp 'total' model, very strong.

Currently, with both pumps running, the 3/4hp steals most all the flow from the jets/fountains and the floor system is insanly strong. With the single 1.5hp the flow is actually fairly well balanced. I plan to improve the balance by reducing pressure drop (by removing the stopped 3/4hp pump) & adding 3-way valves.

Probably the reason they added the booster was because they could not run the returns/fountain with the in-floor at the same time. The in-floor cleaners require high pressure which means that the head loss in that branch of the plumbing is much higher than in the returns and fountain so water will always seek the path of least resistance and flow in that direction. The booster adds head/pressure so without it, the flow will favor the returns and the fountain more than the in-floor cleaner so the in-floor may not work as well. You might be able to reduce the flow rate in the returns/fountain to increase the pressure but then the returns will not work so well for skimming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.