Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you close a Chlorine Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you close a Chlorine Pool?

This is the first year I will be closing the pool after switching from the worst chemical in the world, Baquacil, to Chlorine. I'm not sure what my levels should be when I decide to shut 'er down? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Jen
    24' Above Ground

2. Back To Top    #2
    It should be fairly similar to what you did before. Typically you would get the PH near 7.5, bring chlorine up to shock level, and add some PolyQuat (algecide) with a little time to circulate and mix well right before closing. Then protect the plumbing and cover the pool as you would have before.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    IMO, the most important level is the temperature. If you wait until the water hits 60 to close, and open it again as soon as the water hits 60 on the way up, you will be much happier with the results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah but it's cold as **** if I wait that long and have to clean it. That's cold to have to get in and get it clean. We have a 24 ft round AG and I can't reach to the middle from the outside to clean it. I'll try to hold out as long as I can.
    Thanks!
    24' Above Ground

5. Back To Top    #5

This is our first year closing our new AG pool. Wait until it's below 60 degrees? ... Heck, we were at 65 all July-Sept with only a few 70 degree spikes. The price we pay living in Seattle's marine climate... not to hot, not too cold.

My big delemma is whether to close at all. We have mild winters with 1-3 weeks of mild freezing temps (20's are lowest it gets typically). I know this level of freezing requires running the water though. I'm planning to close just to stop running the pump and playing with chemicals.

My third option is to get a pool dome, but that is next year at the earliest (because we haven't built the deck around the pool yet .
    Thanks! ZephanS
    AG 12'x24'x54" "Diamond Star" (wilbar) bought 2007 from http://www.sunenterprise.com as kit with waterco 2hp (max) pump (too big+noisy) & WaterCo T450 150lb sand filter (filled w/ 75lbs zeobrite). Pool installed 2007. 160 sq ft solar array installed (2009) on custom metal deck roof (2008). Purchase, Site prep, & installation 100% DYI thanks to PF and TFP. Wrap-around deck, small swg, electrical upgrade, and 8' water slide still pending install.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

jgindy27,

Welcome to the forum. I live in Raleigh as well and do not close at all. Might be an option for you to consider.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7
    I'm in the RTP area and, like Duraleigh, I don't close my pool at all. We both have IG pools. I put my mesh cover on, though, to keep out the leaves and large debris, but leave the water circulating until it gets REALLY cold. Then, I bring up the chlorine and shut the pump off. I will run out and turn the pump on if the air temps get below 35. I really need a auto thermostat for that, but I do like to procrasinate.

CaryB
    CaryB
    36 x 18 IG vinyl, 25K, 1 HP pump, sand filter
    1 skimmer, 2 returns, no main drain
    Old school: PoolSolutions test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey Ivyleager!!! Nice to see you here!!

I'll assume that the pool goes well as you aren't asking questions on either site

jgindy27, welcome to TFP!! you are getting very good advice from the others! It's up to you whether you want to close the pool - if I were a conciencsous pool owner, like yourself, I would probably opt to not close the pool.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)