Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter closing question - North East

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter closing question - North East

I have the DE filter fingers soaking in TSP right now, and will give them an acid bath later today.

Should I mount the top and tighten all the bolts, or should I leave it loose?

Last year, I left it loose and left the filter on its stand. I tightened it in the Spring. This year, I've put the pump in the shed and will also remove the filter. Just not sure whether it's better for the o-ring to be tight or loose. I suspect that it's better to be tight but want to do the right thing. It will be protected in the shed but will reach freezing temps in there.

PS - cleaning the fingers today was much easier than it was last year -- there was very little DE attached. I think it's because I cleaned it again in May or so.

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: DE filter closing question - North East

Sue, you can do it either way - the important part is lubing the o-ring with Teflon or silicon based lube and not letting it get stretched out! With the 'bump' filters, I like to reassemble them before storing, just make sure that the top is oriented properly

Hope we'll still see you around here this winter
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Good to know about the silicon lube. And yes, I put it back on its stand and lined it all up when I realized that I wasn't sure about orientation. That would be a real drag to do all those bolts and have to redo it! Will work on bolting it back tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mentor, Ohio

Thanks for the info as well! Good to know I have been doing it the right way without actually knowing for sure
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.