Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter closing question - North East

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter closing question - North East

I have the DE filter fingers soaking in TSP right now, and will give them an acid bath later today.

Should I mount the top and tighten all the bolts, or should I leave it loose?

Last year, I left it loose and left the filter on its stand. I tightened it in the Spring. This year, I've put the pump in the shed and will also remove the filter. Just not sure whether it's better for the o-ring to be tight or loose. I suspect that it's better to be tight but want to do the right thing. It will be protected in the shed but will reach freezing temps in there.

Thanks!

Sue

PS - cleaning the fingers today was much easier than it was last year -- there was very little DE attached. I think it's because I cleaned it again in May or so.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter closing question - North East

Sue, you can do it either way - the important part is lubing the o-ring with Teflon or silicon based lube and not letting it get stretched out! With the 'bump' filters, I like to reassemble them before storing, just make sure that the top is oriented properly

Hope we'll still see you around here this winter
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Good to know about the silicon lube. And yes, I put it back on its stand and lined it all up when I realized that I wasn't sure about orientation. That would be a real drag to do all those bolts and have to redo it! Will work on bolting it back tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info as well! Good to know I have been doing it the right way without actually knowing for sure
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.