Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: winter cover & shrink wrap?

winter cover & shrink wrap?

In the Cincinnati area we can get winds that blow up the winter cover. I have heard that you can shrink wrap the cover to prevent this. Has any one tried this and will it work?

THANKS EVERYONE

Re: winter cover & shrink wrap?

We have used it here in Middle Tennessee for the past two years. I think it helps to keep the cover in place, we do not have a problem with leaves, etc. blowing up under the cover. We don't skimp on it, and buy the shrinkwrap made for outdoor use. Can't hurt to try it!
    Carlotta (aka Clodda)
    Oval AGP 18x33x54 18,000 gal.
    Vinyl
    2hp Hayward Pump
    Sand filter
    BBB Method
    Jug Dumper

I have read on this site (sorry I don't remember by whom) and in an area where there are cold and freezing temps, the shrink wrap will become hard and has been said to fall off the pool. don't know how true this is, but it does make a bit of sense. Just adding my .02
    @ Home Hot Tub Venture model 350 gal. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

Dora, I heard the same thing from someone at work who said that his shrink wrap came loose and did not really do much for him once our really cold N.E. Ohio winters hit. I am not sure if there is one type of wrap better than others or if this is a regional issue (based on temps and general weather conditions) but it sure disappointed my co-worker for sure.
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.

http://globalpolysolutions.com/pallet-w ... -wrap.html

there are some on this site that are UV stable, which is good if it's gonna be outside
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

Darn it Kevin - there goes my Saran Wrap idea - time to take all 50 cases back to the store
    24' Above Ground; Hayward PerFlex D.E. Filter; Hayward 1HP Pump.

yes, should have worded it as stretch wrap and not shrink wrap. I was thinking of using industrial stretch wrap that is used in industry to contain product that is shipped. After reading the above comments maybe I will go around the pool a couple of times with Scotch Sealing tape over top of the stretch wrap to try to keep it in place?

They make a big rubber band for the purpose of keeping the winter cover on an AGP. I don't know if it really works or not but it sounds neat.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 1.5hp Dynamo pump. 24" Pentair Sand Dollar Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit
    You can stop SLAMing your pool when you pass the OCLT (You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & You have .5ppm CC's or less) & your water is clear.

The wrap we bought at the PS has not come loose the two years we have used it. I had also heard you have to use the wrap that is made for outside something about UV.
    Carlotta (aka Clodda)
    Oval AGP 18x33x54 18,000 gal.
    Vinyl
    2hp Hayward Pump
    Sand filter
    BBB Method
    Jug Dumper

For those of you that cover your pool (I have to take mine down every fall UGH) has anybody tried the shrink wrap that they use for boats? Something like this: http://www.goestores.com/tabular.aspx?S ... 063&page=4
    Intex Ultra 18' x 52" AG 6,981 Gal.
    3 - 2'x20' solar panels
    Hayward XStream 1500 Cart Filter
    Hayward 1-1/2 HP 2-speed Superpump
    Aquabot Pool Rover
    2-Softub 300 hot tubs (yup just got one for the lake)
    TF Test Kit Doing the BBB for 7 years
    Medota Heights,Minnesota

Junior Member In the Industry

I put the shrink wrap on the pool and then put the cover on. I also use an over size cover 24ft for a 21ft pool. This is the best combination. Even in strong winds the cover is very stable. I live in the country and the winds are strong. Before I did this my cover wouldn't last the winter, going on three years now. Oh I also use an inflatable pillow which seems to help with the wind also.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.