Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Interesting read at PA Dept. of Health

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleona, PA

Interesting read at PA Dept. of Health

13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Interesting read at PA Dept. of Health

That is interesting. I found several contradictions just in the scan I did of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

My favorite quote "Chorine or bromine kit shall be accurate to within 0.1 ppm", which is kind of extreme but possible. However, they then proceed to recommend a standard DPD chlorine test, which will never come close to meeting that standard.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

They go to extreme with recommending not to use any CYA. They'll tend to have lower CC due to faster oxidation, but at the expense of more nitrogen trichloride which is very volatile and irritating. The immediate rate of disinfection by-product (DBP) production will be higher because of the higher active chlorine level. It would be better to use a small amount of CYA, say 20 ppm, even in indoor pools and have 4 ppm FC and also use supplemental oxidation (UV, ozone, non-chlorine shock, enzymes).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"