Lots here, but my basic question is, what is the crystal stud forming on my pop-up screen evey time I run the pool pump?
I have a Polaris Pop-up in-ground cleaning system that until recently has been relatively pain free. So may story is that I have to clean the metal filter screen every night now, previously I clean the thing every six months. The screen gets so clogged that I create pressure and blow the seal on the pop-up intake. I currently run the returns also to keep the pressure from blowing the system completely. I am getting what appears to be crystal like substance forming around the screen every night that virtually clogs the intake into the dome. The substance kind-of looks like ice and at first I thought it was calcium or salt. It doesn’t taste like salt (really no taste) and when I dropped some into a little acid it didn’t bubble like it was a base. I wonder if a piece of plastic (like bubble wrap) blew into the pool and has been disintegrating in the system and is now breaking down. When I get into the pool, I can see some of these crystals deposited into a corner where the Pop-ups like to pile large debris. Here is a little background that may help.
I put Beautec in once per month (about 5 bottles so far this year for a 35K gallon) pool. I realize now that this may be too much and need to know if this is a contributing factor. The guy at Leslies indicated that you cannot use to much of this stuff (hmmm), but I have had a continued scaling problem at the water line, but the chlorinator is scale free.
I recently replaced my broken Pentair Saltwater Chlorinator with a new one and cranked it up to 80% (now at 60%) to get my chlorine levels up. I essentially had no measurable chlorine in the pool for at least of couple of days and kind of panicked a little I suppose. It was over 110 degrees in Arizona where I live and I could not get the tablets dissolved fast enough before it was being burn-off. This was going on for few days before I decided to replace my chlorinator, but I preceded that with a dump of some grocery store shock treatment (I wanted a quick chlorine surge). I noted that the shock treatment had some stuff in it that I thought might raise the calcium or hardness of the pool, but I dumped it in anyway. It didn’t dissolve right away and I wondered f the chemical compound of the treat meant had change since it was kind of old. Not sure if this is a contributing factor, but wanted to give all the details I could.
Any ideas would be welcome.