Do I empty now or in a few months?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
A successful first year with our pool! Yea!

But the liner needs fixing. It's come out of the track at the top. We went the season like that, but I'd like to fix it. Calling around the only guy that would do it said I'd need to drain the pool out. I agree, having tried to unsuccessfully fix it myself with water in the pool.

My question is, do I drain the pool now that the season is over, or wait till the spring? My thought is, if I drain it, I can fill it toward spring and don't really have to winterize the water. (Just put the pump in and clear the lines.)

What are your thoughts?

Your pool won't stay standing over the winter without water in it. It is structurally dependent on having water inside.

You passed by the best opportunity to fix it when the water was warm. A warm liner is much easier to move, and there are several tricks to making it easier. Rubbing the liner with your hand to make it warm, and pouring warm water over it both work in some cases. I expect a good pool service would know how.

This pool has a fiberglass frame, and angled supports, and a deck and fence around the top. Do you still think it would cave in without the water?
PIC_0183.jpg

Also, you can see the liner issue here:
PIC_0298.jpg

mkenyon2 said:
This pool has a fiberglass frame, and angled supports, and a deck and fence around the top. Do you still think it would cave in without the water?

Hard to say, but the best thing for the liner is to keep it full.

I hope one of the pros here can give you advice on whether that liner can be fixed without draining.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.