Solar Cover?

Mar 7, 2010
Hey guys,

My pool water is now at about 70 degrees, so I'm thinking about adding a solar cover.

So I have some questions.

1. I assume that the cover floats on top of the water?

2. If the cover does float on top of the water, do I need to get a larger size cover so I can add weights around the pool so the cover can never sink?

3. I don't plan on buying a roller, I was just going to fold up the cover on weekends. Is this a big PITA or do you recommend a roller? Seems like even if I get a roller you still need 2 people to help spread it out.

4. Looks like there are several colors of covers. I assume black would heat the pool better?

I was basically going to leave the pool covered Monday - Friday and just uncover on the weekends. This would be ok right?

Thanks for your knowledge

The covers look like industrial bubble wrap. :) They float all by themselves, no need for anything to keep them floating.

A reel is a personal decision and you'll have to decide if you want one. I love mine. It makes it very easy to remove and deploy the cover by myself. It takes all of a couple of minutes to take it off or put it on.

I have posted pictures of ours here.

We don't have a roller and not sure if one would be of benefit for us based on the layout (diving board one end, grab-bar shallow end). It would be nice, but it's not a big deal for us to not have one.

Ours is a heavy-duty clear. If memory serves, the clear is best to help heat the pool since the sun's rays can penetrate thru into the water.

We keep ours on except when in use, which can be several days in a row...especially now with no use in the last few weeks :-(

Either way, I highly recommend a cover for heat retention, heat addition and reduced chlorine loss.

Chikn,

I have a diving board on one end and a slide on the other. I use a roller on the diving board end with aftermarket casters (8 inch) and just wheel the rolled up cover over the diving board. Where there is a will...

My cover floats on the water. I trimmed it to fit the kidney shape of my pool. No the wind has never blown it off the water. I did not purchase a reel. Instead I cut the cover up into 4ft wide strips to make it more manageable to put down and take up.

Mine is a blue color. Over time they can get a little dirty looking from pollen staining, etc. So a darker color MIGHT be a better choice...hard to say.

We have a free form pool made of 2 overlapping 18' diameter circles, so I bought 2 18' diameter circles ($40 each) and cut out the overlap to cover the remaining triangle of water. Photo: http://my-pool.blogspot.com/2010/09/two ... ts-on.html It would be better if they were clear since I have noticed that the pool heats up faster when I take them off on a sunny day. They really help to retain the heat at night so they should probably be called night blankets rather than solar blankets.

Rather than a roller I just pull them up and fold them in halves until I have 2 - 3' triangles that I prop up against the fence - I'll take a photo and post to my blog. That suits me but I think my wife would prefer the roller - Next summer.

dankfoot said:
Another question.

Has the wind ever blown your cover off the top of your water?

And, can you still run the vacuum while the cover is on?

Thanks
The wind has messed with my cover probably a couple times a year. This sort of thing would depend on how much high wind you get, and what kind of nearby structures you have. My cover can't go far, the fence catches it.

If "vacuum" means automatic cleaner, my Polaris seems to work fine with the cover on. There is some drag on the hose, I can tell, but basically it doesn't seem to affect it.

If you mean a real vaccuum hose at the end of a pole you're pushing around yourself, no I wouldn't expect that to work with the cover on!
--paulr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.