The weather was chilly two weeks ago and last week the kids were sick so we did not get a chance to use the pool. I though that my trusty salt system would protect me from algae as it did all summer long but oh what surprise did I get Saturday afternoon when it was quite hot outside and the family got ready for a swim. A green pool!!
I vacuumed, backwashed and shocked the pool (still shocking) and it's getting better but I'm surprised that I got algae. FC was at 5.5 for the last month or so and CYA at 75. Shouldn't that be enough to protect the pool from algae even if the cover is on? I know that leaving covers on for a long time is a big no on regular chlorine pools but remember reading somewhere that it was a non issue with the salt pools.. I guess I was wrong.
Is there a guideline for the max amount of time the cover can stay on? Can I put the cover on and leave it for a week once my FC is at shock levels but I'm not losing FC? It will be quite cold this week so I doubt we'll use the pool much.