Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellichlor IC40 No Power

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellichlor IC40 No Power

I had this unit install last year and it was working fine, now there is no lights or power.
    The circuit breaker in the EasyTouch panel trips each time it is reset. The flow is good and the cells are clean.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellichlor IC40 No Power

With the breaker tripping as soon as you reset it, you have a short and a bad one. I'd start by turning off all the power and looking at all the wires and boards for burnt or warped components. It sounds like a surge or lightning strike.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Which circuit breaker in the Easytouch trips? I assume the breaker in your main panel that feeds the easy touch is ok? How many breakers are in the easy touch and what do they feed?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

No lighting strikes here in sunny California. The circuit breaker is the small 10amp white press button press type, label for the "Intellichlor"

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

What version Intellichlor is this? There could be a sticker(round) on the bottom of the cell.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

6. Back To Top    #6

Small white button says GFCI to me. Those also have a toggle handle too unless it's a receptacle.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Small white button says GFCI to me. Those also have a toggle handle too unless it's a receptacle.
    It's not exactly like your thinking, Dave, but close. There is no toggle; its basically a reset button that acts like a GFI. The actual breaker that sends power to the SWG is usually wired up to the same breaker that runs the pump and the Easytouch box itself. The little white button is on the actual line that feeds the SWG. If thats tripped and cant be reset, it tells me there is a short in the SWG someway. PoolClown actually works on these things and should be able to give more info on how to troubleshoot.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

as stated, there is a short between the breaker and the cell. Unplug the cell and see if the breaker stays in. If so, the issue is within the cell/cord. If not, it's inside your power center.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac
    as stated, there is a short between the breaker and the cell.
    I didn't see that, who said that?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

10. Back To Top    #10

I did unplug the SWG from the EasyTouch panel and the circuit breaker resets ok and the green light is on.
    I also contacted Pentair on this problem.
    They were very quick on replying back and assigned a pool service tech to check the SWG.
    The next day the pool service replaved the IC40 with a newer model.
    It has less lights for the salt levels than before, hope it works.

11. Back To Top    #11

I believe they gave you version 2.0. A lot of the 1.9 version had problems. The new version has 2 lights for salt instead of 3, you are correct. The old version had green for good, yellow for "check salt" (it still made chlorine), and red for low (unit was off). The new version has green for good, and red for low. They got rid of the yellow light. Now the red light doubles as the "check salt" light. It flashes red for check salt, steady red for low.