Bleach Spot to LIner in Salt Water Pool????

Sep 12, 2010
HELP!!! Our pool is just about complete (construction). In adding the chemicals, the pool guy dumped a huge amount of what he said was salt, calcium and stabilizer to the deep end. It was a HUGE heap of chemicals. It stayed there for a day or two. (This was after he added shock a couple days prior). We would brush it around once in a while. When it finally dissolved, it left an oblong size bleach spot. I dont know ANYTHING about pools, but it seems like it may have been caused by the chemicals?? Its a brand new liner, and these spots arent occurring anywhere else.

Please someone help us!!!!!! What could this be? If the pool guy messed up, I am going to ask him to fix it. :roll:

Salt is commonly added in this way (just dump it in) and doesn't cause problems. It is not recommended to add calcium this way, but even if you do you would usually be fine. However, stabilizer should never be added in this way. Stabilizer is very slow to dissolve and acidic. If it sits in a pile on the bottom of the pool it causes patches of low PH which can bleach and/or damage the liner.

He told us to "brush it around if you get tired of looking at it." WE brushed it probably every few hours (not thinking we needed to). We havent paid him his final draw, and dont plan to if this doesnt get corrected. So that makes sense re: the stabilizer. I was uncomfortable with all that stuff at the bottom of the deep end.

So now the pool builder wants to bring the "liner rep" out to our pool to look at it. I guess he is going to try and claim that it was a defect in the liner. Really? Im far from a pool professional, but I agree that it had something to do with all the chemicals. The pool builder said to me, "Well, I didnt do anything different with your pool (adding chemicals), so I don't see how that could have happened."

How much is a new liner, generally? Its an L shaped pool (roman ends). 43 feet long, 26 feet wide at the shallow end, and 18 feet wide at the deep end.

Are there any other options? I want to be fully educated on this when I meet with the pool guy and the liner rep. If they want to patch it, are there problems with doing this?

ANy help would be great.

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

I had it inspected and the pool guy finally admitted that it was the stabilizer that probably caused it. Yall were right AGAIN!!!!! Wow, thanks again for all your help. He agreed to replace the liner, and pay for the water and chemicals for no charge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.