Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach Spot to LIner in Salt Water Pool????

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach Spot to LIner in Salt Water Pool????

HELP!!! Our pool is just about complete (construction). In adding the chemicals, the pool guy dumped a huge amount of what he said was salt, calcium and stabilizer to the deep end. It was a HUGE heap of chemicals. It stayed there for a day or two. (This was after he added shock a couple days prior). We would brush it around once in a while. When it finally dissolved, it left an oblong size bleach spot. I dont know ANYTHING about pools, but it seems like it may have been caused by the chemicals?? Its a brand new liner, and these spots arent occurring anywhere else.

Please someone help us!!!!!! What could this be? If the pool guy messed up, I am going to ask him to fix it.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach Spot to LIner in Salt Water Pool????

He should have never dumped any chemicals directly on the liner and let them set. I would insist that they replace the liner and pay for the water lost.

Were you told to brush it once he dumped it in?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt is commonly added in this way (just dump it in) and doesn't cause problems. It is not recommended to add calcium this way, but even if you do you would usually be fine. However, stabilizer should never be added in this way. Stabilizer is very slow to dissolve and acidic. If it sits in a pile on the bottom of the pool it causes patches of low PH which can bleach and/or damage the liner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

He told us to "brush it around if you get tired of looking at it." WE brushed it probably every few hours (not thinking we needed to). We havent paid him his final draw, and dont plan to if this doesnt get corrected. So that makes sense re: the stabilizer. I was uncomfortable with all that stuff at the bottom of the deep end.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

So now the pool builder wants to bring the "liner rep" out to our pool to look at it. I guess he is going to try and claim that it was a defect in the liner. Really? Im far from a pool professional, but I agree that it had something to do with all the chemicals. The pool builder said to me, "Well, I didnt do anything different with your pool (adding chemicals), so I don't see how that could have happened."

How much is a new liner, generally? Its an L shaped pool (roman ends). 43 feet long, 26 feet wide at the shallow end, and 18 feet wide at the deep end.

Are there any other options? I want to be fully educated on this when I meet with the pool guy and the liner rep. If they want to patch it, are there problems with doing this?

ANy help would be great.

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooo much!

6. Back To Top    #6

His cost...likely around $1-2K...pure guess, but that is a ballpark
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

I had it inspected and the pool guy finally admitted that it was the stabilizer that probably caused it. Yall were right AGAIN!!!!! Wow, thanks again for all your help. He agreed to replace the liner, and pay for the water and chemicals for no charge.