Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just showin' off.

Re: Just showin' off.

Truthfully, all that landscaping makes it hard to leave because of the chores that wait for us when we get back. Lots of work. But we do it together and that makes it fun.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Truthfully, all that landscaping makes it hard to leave because of the chores that wait for us when we get back. Lots of work. But we do it together and that makes it fun.
    Ouch...didn't think of that! It would do me in I'm afraid. Or I would need to hire a gardener. Y'all are doing a fantastic job with it though! Looks like it was born that way...
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

Showoff!

Very nice looking spot, Anonapersona!
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

Ba da da da da, I'm Lovin' It!
    32.6K Gallon 16x41x24 L-Shape Vinyl Inground by Fort Wayne Pools
    DE Filter, 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 Btu Propane Heater, Pentair IC40 SWG
    One Wife - Three Kids - Two Dogs

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!
    Shores

17,000 Gallon Vinyl-lined In-ground Sports Pool
    Triton II Sand Filter; WhisperFlo Pump
    Pentair Intellichlor Electronic Chlorine Generator Model IC40
    Ray-Pak Gas-Fired 250,000 BTU Pool Heater
    Polaris 380 Automatic Pool Cleaner with Booster Pump
    EasyTouch Control Panel
    Save-T 3 Automatic Pool Cover
    3 Skimmers, 3 Inlets, No Main Drains

very very nice!
    How does the veg handle the winter? Last winter was a rough one....
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

Last winter was rough. The pool is no big deal, it has freeze protection on the Aqualink system and so it runs when the temperatures hit some mark. I just tend the chemicals and keep the skimmers clean.

The plants, however, were another issue altogether! We were slow to drag out sheets and Xmas lights and so a lot of things went uncovered. The cardboard palms (look like sago palms with big fat blades) and the humming bird bushes, the Ixora, and the Angel's trumpet died to the ground, but came back from the roots ever so slowly, just as we were about to dig them up. We lost several hibiscus. We lost half the small palms, Robelini?, the only ones that made it were the ones that had Xmas lights up the trunk and over the crown. The other palms were fine, the Mexican fan palms, and the sagos were unharmed, amazingly.

This year, I have purchased freeze protection cloth in a 125' x 6' roll with the idea that as it gets cooler, I will measure and sew up some sacks to cover certain plants totally. In a pinch, I could just drape and tuck, but sewing would be more secure.

I tend to go to the Master Gardener's plant sales at the Agricultural Service locations, and the Mercer Arboretum plant sales, and the local garden club plant sales so I end up with too many interesting but tender items. And I am careless when the weather is adverse, slow to notice lack of water and slow to tend to covering plants in freezes, so I lose a lot that way. I have yet to discover how to have a lovely and low maintenance and colorful garden. Those 3 are mutually exclusive I think.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

anonapersona writes: "I have yet to discover how to have a lovely and low maintenance and colorful garden."

Plastic and silk.
    @ Home Hot Tub Venture model 350 gal. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Last winter was rough. The pool is no big deal, it has freeze protection on the Aqualink system and so it runs when the temperatures hit some mark. I just tend the chemicals and keep the skimmers clean.

The plants, however, were another issue altogether! We were slow to drag out sheets and Xmas lights and so a lot of things went uncovered. The cardboard palms (look like sago palms with big fat blades) and the humming bird bushes, the Ixora, and the Angel's trumpet died to the ground, but came back from the roots ever so slowly, just as we were about to dig them up. We lost several hibiscus. We lost half the small palms, Robelini?, the only ones that made it were the ones that had Xmas lights up the trunk and over the crown. The other palms were fine, the Mexican fan palms, and the sagos were unharmed, amazingly.

This year, I have purchased freeze protection cloth in a 125' x 6' roll with the idea that as it gets cooler, I will measure and sew up some sacks to cover certain plants totally. In a pinch, I could just drape and tuck, but sewing would be more secure.

I tend to go to the Master Gardener's plant sales at the Agricultural Service locations, and the Mercer Arboretum plant sales, and the local garden club plant sales so I end up with too many interesting but tender items. And I am careless when the weather is adverse, slow to notice lack of water and slow to tend to covering plants in freezes, so I lose a lot that way. I have yet to discover how to have a lovely and low maintenance and colorful garden. Those 3 are mutually exclusive I think.
    Beautiful tropical paradise there in your backyard. Hope you got your freeze protection in place for this winter storm blowing through now. Looks like you have a nice pygmy palm there, hope it's protected with the freeze cloth. You may want to put plastic over that as the greenhouse effect from the freeze cloth alone may not be enough. Just make sure the plastic is not placed directly on the plants without an intermediate layer. That's what I have done with our newly planted pygmy this time around. It got burned by the last freeze we had even though it had the freeze cloth over it. Not taking any chances this time.

BTW, who built your pool?
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

That's a very nice looking pool area. Nice job
    Tahitian 54" x 30' Round AG 23,000gl
    Sta-Rite 1 1/2 H.P 150 SQ. FT. Advanced MOD Media CartridgeFilter System
    50ppm Borate
    Liquidator 4 Gal
    TF-100 Test kit
    First time pool owner 2008
    BBB from the start

Senior Member In the Industry

Very nice looking pool.. Who built it? It's hard to tell from pics but it almost looks like a Texas Pool..

Dang!
    38K Gallons IG, Intelliflow VS-SVRS, 30GPM 24/7, 72sqft DE Filter, Spectralight UV, Jandy C1900 driving Liquid Chlorine and Acid (toys, I know..), Jandy LXi gas heater, Aquacal SQ175 Heatpump, Riverflow Competition swimmer, Jandy automation, Touch and iAqualink, Pebblesheen | The Build

The thread title caught my eye, but the yard truly dazzled me. You are obviously very talented with gardening skills. Absolutely gorgeous yard, and one of the most inviting and aluring pool scenes I've ever laid eyes on. Truly gorgeous.

Thanks, but I have to bow to the original owners, 2 prior, who first built a wonderful house on a great site so that it takes advantage of every view of the yard. The first owner was a serious gardener who almost did not sell to the second when they heard about the plan for a pool. The second owner put in the pool and had it professionally landscaped. Overall the second owner was big on looks but not really understanding of the details that make things work well. Between Ike and the 2 big freezes and now the drought and the terrible, nasty, neverending drought we have had a lot of opportunities to rework the beds. Trying to improve the soil just made the moles head this way when the drought started.

Builder was Lone Star Pools. But if you use them do not let them put in a fake overflow line that goes nowhere and do not let them put in rocks that go into the water. Looks nice but an algae nightmare. And beware of rain off the roof washing out the equipment pad support. One day maybe I'll add photos of the splotchy plaster color and the algae covered rocks.

Awesome!! Who needs a vacation when you have that... I don't think I'd ever want to leave! The gardening is right up my alley too... would love it! Maybe some day when my boy is grown and he wants to move south for a job, we'll follow him and build an oasis like yours.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

I get so giddy the closer I get to completing my AGP until I see threads like this and then I die a little inside. lol. Very nice! When can I move in?
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 23K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator