Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap Ph Automation

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap Ph Automation

My fill water has has a very high Ph and TA (8+/250+) so combined with a SWG, I am constantly adding acid to keep things in balance. I see there are a number of cheap Ph meters/controllers on eBay, marketed for the aquarium market. Would these reliably report Ph from pool water, with all the other chemicals we have in the water? I am envisioning connecting the relay output to a small pump that would introduce diluted MA to the pool water. ... 2a0709fb5f ... 3a5e77f329
    17,000 Gallon plaster pool. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE Filter. 3/4 HP Hayward Superpump converted to dual speed. CircuPool RJ45. Skimmer, floor drain, two returns.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Cheap Ph Automation

Looks like the first one isn't adjustable so it's not a good choice for a pool. The second one might be alright if you can adjust the setpoint to the mid sevens.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Cheap Ph Automation

Typically you don't need a sensor/controller system when setting up an acid feed system. It is generally sufficient to make a system where you can manually control the rate at which acid is added. It is normally quite easy to adjust the system to an appropriate feed rate manually. You don't need to get the acid feed rate exactly right, you just need to get it in the right general range. That will then dramatically slow down the rate at which the PH changes, so that it becomes very easy to manually adjust the PH, say once a week, to take care of any error in the acid feed rate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School