Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool guy said D.E. filter will eventually rust, need new

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool guy said D.E. filter will eventually rust, need new

Had a pool repair guy come and give me an estimate of swapping out a Northstar .75 hp pump with a 1hp 2 speed. He recommended replacing my d.e. filter too since it's metal (stainless, guess) and since I had a salt generator it would eventually rust out.

Even if that's not true, I would consider replacing the filter since it's pretty old (maybe 30 years) and the long rod that holds the grids down broke in the hole where it threads. I jury rigged a tube that's wedged between the top grid manifold and lid. That seems to work fine. I forget the brand but it's 48 square inches (or feet?) and is all metal.

Considering switching to sand filtration. Amazon has the Hayward S180T for under $200.

Questions:
    1. is salt rusting filter just bunk?
    2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year.
    3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump?
    4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective?
    5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand?
    6. will sand cause much more back-pressure?

wheew, thanks everyone!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool guy said D.E. filter will eventually rust, need new

1. is salt rusting filter just bunk? Some truth to it
    2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year. I would be, I don't know if you would.
    3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump? Yes....that's a BIG filter but you can't get one too big....only too small
    4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective? can't answer
    5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand? Sand will likely backwash less often and simpler to do
    6. will sand cause much more back-pressure? No, probably less
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My previous house had a Stainless Steel DE Filter for the pool. When we were buying the house, I had a pool guy come out and inspect everything for me. I remember him telling me "You can't add a salt generator unless you replace that filter... they don't like salt".
    32x16 DoughBoy Autumn Breeze with partial bury, 7' deep end, happy bottom, and Access wedding cake steps.
    Pentair DE FNS Plus 48 with Pentair Challenger 1.5 hp.
    Order placed 6/13/10. Excavation started 6/15. First swim 6/18. Two thumbs up for DoughBoy, Crown Pools, and Mendez Pools and Decks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by wowser
    Had a pool repair guy come and give me an estimate of swapping out a Northstar .75 hp pump with a 1hp 2 speed. He recommended replacing my d.e. filter too since it's metal (stainless, guess) and since I had a salt generator it would eventually rust out.

Even if that's not true, I would consider replacing the filter since it's pretty old (maybe 30 years) and the long rod that holds the grids down broke in the hole where it threads. I jury rigged a tube that's wedged between the top grid manifold and lid. That seems to work fine. I forget the brand but it's 48 square inches (or feet?) and is all metal.

Considering switching to sand filtration. Amazon has the Hayward S180T for under $200.

Questions:
    1. is salt rusting filter just bunk?
    2. if replacing the filter, would I be happy with sand? I don't like cleaning d.e. grids 2x a year. I am way happier w my sand than my SS metal DE filter
    3. Is the S180T good for a 6000 gallon in-ground pool (yes, it's tiny) with 2" lines, solar panels, a hayward vac and dual speed Northstar 1 hp pump?
    4. Anyone switch from d.e. to sand and can give the pros/cons from a user's perspective? WAY less work the sand!
    5. do you have to backwash sand more often than sand? For me, way less BWash w the sand- way less
    6. will sand cause much more back-pressure?

wheew, thanks everyone!
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.