Winter Covers and a couple questions

redhed100

Feb 25, 2010
First, Yes I read the pool school article.

18' Above Ground Pool

First question, it says to lower the water level 6 inches below the skimmer. I am going to ask the dumb question, how do you lower it below the skimmer? Do you siphon it out? I really don't know or I wouldn't be asking.

Second question, there are 2 types of winter covers that I have read and done research about, but I am unsure as to which one is better, the mesh style and the solid with pillows. Any recommendations? The posts on here seem to be mostly regarding inground pools, or above grounds with a deck, which mine doesn't have a deck.

Third question, in the pool school article it mentioned removing any ladders, steps or mats. What is the mat for? Is it for the ladder to stand on? Our pool store never mentioned that we needed one, but my husband and I both noticed that where the ladder sits on the liner it is wrinkled. Should we have used a mat? Where would you buy one?

Thanks in advance for the help!

First Question...you can lower the water by unhooking the hose under the skimmer basket and just let it drain out.

Second Question...I use a full cover not the net. It keeps leaves out and keeps sun light off the pool which causes algae to grow.If you have a lot of leaves you can put a net over the cover to make it easier to remove the leaves.

Third Question...I have never used a mat I guess it would be a good idea.

I don't know where you live but I would suggest taking the pump down and storing for the winter if there is any chance of freezing.

Deb :lol:

Debstar60 said:
First Question...you can lower the water by unhooking the hose under the skimmer basket and just let it drain out.

No offense, as I might be missing something, but without a drain, how the water level could go 6 inches bellow skimmer and water return level?

First Question: If you do have a drain, use the function "Drain" or "Waste" while only operating through the pool's drain (NOT the skimmer). If you do not, you can vacuum the water to "Waste". The vacuum plate and pump pressure will keep air from leaking in.

The water level CAN go below 6 inches below the skimmer and return. It is especially useful for someone who uses Hypo-Cal / Stabilized Chlorine.

Hivernizing the drain is also important. Unhook it, tie its pipe on the wall (so it is always over the water level), put anti-freeze, a foam serpentine then plug it.

Unhooking the water returns might also be a very good idea. If the water level rises, it will sip out that opening.

Second Question: We only sell Mesh here, so I can't really talk about solid covers. However, the support baloon, or elastics, can be an option for mesh covers too. Mesh's main benefit is water can sip through, but the weight of wet dead leaves can be a problem too. Either you remove them leaves often, either give it more support. The use of either covers will prevent most sunlight from going through.

Third Question: My ignorance shines here: I do not know what they refer to as "mats" either. Any cushion for the ladder is unecessary. I doubt it would have prevented those wrinkles to form too. But this is strictly speculative.

As a rule of thumbs, if it can be safely removed from the pool and winterized separately, do so. Heaters, pump, filter, (ugh...) Nature2, Ionizers, Chlorine Feeders, Solar Blanket, and so on...

Thanks for the insight so far.

I only have 2 openings, the hole where the skimmer is, and the return. So I guess the vacuum option is what I will do. So I guess I turn the pump to waste and connect the vacuum?

As far as the covers, the mesh one sounds good, as I really don't want to have to get a pump just for the cover. So to get excess water out, I leave the return hose opening, open? The leaf net may be a good idea on top of that, just to make it easier to get the leaves off. Hmmmmm.......

The mesh cover should do the same as the leaf net. Don't buy both.

What I meant is to simply remove the pipe from the water return. Those often have a fitting 1/2 inch / 1/4 inch screwed in. Unscrew it and you're all set (for that part). Pool stores tend to have neat tricks for the "hardware" part like this one. It's the chemistry that is really problematic... very different marketing techniques from these two parts of the industry.

I hope it helped.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.