sand filter size

Yup...what Bama said. I run a 22" hayward S220T (250lb) and backwash maybe 3 times a season....and that is not even because the PSI rose significantly rather I figure after a good storm and the pool topped off, might as well backwash :goodjob:

That said...if you are OK with frequent backwashing, you are on top of your chemistry and you do not have an algae outbreak...you're 100lb filter will do OK, but once you do have an issue that will require increased filtration capacity...you'll find the 100lb filter to be too small for a 13.5k gallon pool

I see both of the people that previously answered have different size pumps. I would like to only run pump 4-5 hours a day. If I get 24" sand filter should I keep my 1Hp. pump or down size pump and run a little longer? what will save more energy. I am on limited budget now and need to save where I can. Please help me out.

Your best bet is a 2-speed pump and a 3/4 or 1 hp is plenty. However, since you have a good pump I wouldn't change it until it goes out.

The reason that I have a 1½hp pump (it's really a 1hp full rated) is that it was part of the package and you can't break the package! :hammer:

When I replace mine I'll be going with a full rated 3/4hp 2-speed or a 1hp uprated 2-speed.

Re: new pump

Well it looks like a pool pump, if you could get the technical details (flow rates at what head etc) that would be more useful.

Edit: with unknown makes of pump, try to buy spares before you purchase just to see if it's possible.

Re: new pump

If your going to invest in a new filter, stick with a quality pump...not saying that the pumps above may not be a good short term deal, but eventually it will need fixin'. Hayward, Pentair and Jandy are what your looking for.

For your pool (I have the same pool) a 0.5hp Full rated or 3/4 uprated pump is all you need...unless you want to go with a 2speed, which then I would suggest a 3/4 or 1hp pump. And you'll do just fine with a 250lb sand filter...although 300lbs can't hurt.

Is your pump and filter fairly close to the pool?

Also...please try to keep related topics in one thread as it helps us make sure we understand what your full set of goals are. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.