Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward filter

Hi guys, how can you tell if your sand filter is working properly, my pump is working fine and I am keeping my chems spot on, so it only leaves the filter but as I said how can you test for defiences.

New member johnnie-o
    23000 gal. 18 x 36 IG vinyl
    Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp. pump
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 cartridge filter
    AutoPilot Digital 220 SWG
    LaarsLite 250 gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    what problems are you having?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

3. Back To Top    #3

the return flow does not seem to be strong enough to take away all the little insects
    they appear to just flow past without getting sucked down and as I said before the pump is brand new
    and my chems are all up to par but the water is green and cloudy

pool is above ground with 1 return and 1 skimmer

johnnie-o
    23000 gal. 18 x 36 IG vinyl
    Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1.5 hp. pump
    Jacuzzi CFR 100 cartridge filter
    AutoPilot Digital 220 SWG
    LaarsLite 250 gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4
    Have you backwashed the filter recently?

A sand filter should have a pressure gauge on it. When the pressure rises 8 to 10 psi above whatever it is right after backwashing it is time to backwash again. When it is getting to be time to backwash the flow will go down.

If your water is green and murky/cloudy it is almost always algae, which can also fill up the filter fairly quicky and require frequent backwashing.

Could you post a full set of water test numbers? That will help us give more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    do you have a full set of test numbers and maybe a pressure reading from the gauge? It sounds like you might have an algae issue. I have limited experience with sand filters so maybe someone else could address that issue.
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

In a well-balanced pool, algae (which you have) cannot grow. The first step towards progress is to recognize you have (at the very least) a chlorine deficiency. There may be some other issues but only a set of test results will help us help you get your water clear
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School