Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PSI Guage

1. Back To Top    #1

PSI Guage

Ok! Our PSI guage on the filter is reading 50 PSI all of a sudden and we have been backwashing all week long twice a day to get the pool clear. Is this a problem with the pump or is the guage broken ?

ALSO

What numbers should I be looking for in my chems for a 13,600 G AG pool vinyl liner as far as chems go. I keep reading about clhorine drops during the night and such. What should my goal numbers and such be ??
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Do you still have good flow from the return(s)? If not the pressure reading is probably real. Does the pressure reading change when you turn off the pump? If not the gauge is broken. Have you tried backwashing and does that change the pressure at all? Too much DE in a DE filter can clog the filter causing high pressure readings. Did you accidentally turn off all of the returns? (assuming you have valves that turn returns on and off)

If the gauge isn't broken that is not good and you shouldn't keep running the pump at that pressure.

Post your current numbers and we can make some suggestions about how to improve them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    There is still good flow from the return in the pool. I didnt notice what pressure was before I started to backwash so if there was a pressure change afterwards, I'm not sure. Is a new guage expensive and easy to change ? I will take a water sample to the pool store tomorrow and get some numbers and post them for you to look at ...
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    A new gauge is usually less than $10 and fairly easy to install. They do tend to break fairly often.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Test results

Ok, here are the results of our water test from today.

FC 9.1
    TC 9.1
    CC 0.0
    PH 7.4
    ALK 130
    CY 70

We also purchased a new PSI guage. Do I just remove the old one and insert the new one? I would assume with the pump NOT running too?
    Les
    Helpful Links:
    Doing BBB and loving it!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yes, that is correct. You might want to put a few wraps of teflon plumbing tape around the threads of the gauge before screwing it in. But it is that simple.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits