Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG + filter

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG + filter

Hi Everyone,

Great site! New to a pool this year. I have an Intex 15' x 48" and am going to upgrade the filter and pump. My question (and pardon my stupidity) is can a sand filter be used with a SWG? My local pool guy is suggesting a sand filter. The one he has is 18" with a 3/4 HP pump. He does not sell the SWG and I am very interested in using that instead of all the chemicals, but am still open to suggestions and opinions. I also am interested in finding out how to hook a sand filter up to a pool cleaner........Thanks in advance for the help.........Bill
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: SWG + filter

Welcome to

The SWG will work with a sand filter and pump. That is what I'm running with my Intex pool and a couple of modifications.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.

Yes, a sand (or any other type) filter can be used with a SWCG.

Don't be fooled into the belief that a salt water pool is a chemical free pool. It's still a chlorine pool, you just don't have to haul chlorine. You still need the other chemicals associated with maintinaing a pool.

Having said that, if you'll follow the guidelines here you won't use any more chemicals than absolutely necessary to maintain a healthy, sanitary pool.

An SWCG is a great adjunct to maintaining your pool but you still need to test and adjust as required. You should do yourself a favor and go ahead and order a good test kit. You can use it with a SWCG too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Parker County, Texas

CrookM11, I was looking at your set up and am trying to figure out how you are set up with two hoses feeding the pump? I see what looks like an external strainer? Do you have a better picture? Not to hijack the thread, but I have the SWG and am looking at adding a sand filter like yours, how do you like the sand filer system?
    Intex 15x48" metal frame pool filtered by an Intex 2650 gph pump with sand filter, chlorinated by an Intex SWG all plumbed together with PVC.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!