Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG + filter

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG + filter

Hi Everyone,

Great site! New to a pool this year. I have an Intex 15' x 48" and am going to upgrade the filter and pump. My question (and pardon my stupidity) is can a sand filter be used with a SWG? My local pool guy is suggesting a sand filter. The one he has is 18" with a 3/4 HP pump. He does not sell the SWG and I am very interested in using that instead of all the chemicals, but am still open to suggestions and opinions. I also am interested in finding out how to hook a sand filter up to a pool cleaner........Thanks in advance for the help.........Bill
    El Paso, Texas
    16x32 Rectangular In-Ground Pool - Plaster - Cartridge Filter - 25,000 gallons - TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG + filter

Welcome to TFP.com

The SWG will work with a sand filter and pump. That is what I'm running with my Intex pool and a couple of modifications.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Yes, a sand (or any other type) filter can be used with a SWCG.

Don't be fooled into the belief that a salt water pool is a chemical free pool. It's still a chlorine pool, you just don't have to haul chlorine. You still need the other chemicals associated with maintinaing a pool.

Having said that, if you'll follow the guidelines here you won't use any more chemicals than absolutely necessary to maintain a healthy, sanitary pool.

An SWCG is a great adjunct to maintaining your pool but you still need to test and adjust as required. You should do yourself a favor and go ahead and order a good test kit. You can use it with a SWCG too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

CrookM11, I was looking at your set up and am trying to figure out how you are set up with two hoses feeding the pump? I see what looks like an external strainer? Do you have a better picture? Not to hijack the thread, but I have the SWG and am looking at adding a sand filter like yours, how do you like the sand filer system?
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!