Pool closing in Michigan

jccams

May 22, 2010
Dexter, MI
I am sure this has been covered but here goes anyway.

I will be closing the pool in the next couple of weeks (PB closes). I have to do it before the leaves start falling or it is a nightmare so the pool will probably still be 65 degrees or so. I used to use the winter Kit by Bioguard before I switched to BBB this year so this will be the first closing doing it this way. My CYA is about 70. Question is what should I add to the pool prior to closing? I have a loop lock cover with 3 mesh panels in it.

I was planning on adding bleach and I have one bottle of Algaecide left that I thought of adding (never added any this year), it isn't as concentrated as the stuff in the winter kit though. Question is what should I bring the FC level too and how much if any Algaecide should I add? Anything else I should add before covering?

Thanks
Jeff

Since I'm in the same state as the OP, I thought I'd add in on the discussion :) I did use Polyquat 60 last year and opened to a clear, algae free pool. However, the PB suggested not using it this year because upon opening, when shocking the pool, it would kill any algae. Opinions?

Algaecide is not needed as long as you plan on closing after your water is 60 deg or below and opening before the water reaches 60 deg. Otherwise the poly 60 is good insurance, if you get lazy in the spring and delay opening. I closed last season at shock value and still had a residual 7ppm FC when I opened the pool early may.

So there is no danger of the liner fading when you close with such a high chlorine level? In the past I never have checked or had the means to check the exact Chlorine level at closing, maybe the shock in the winter kit brought it up pretty high.

I can't say for sure on the liner fade...hopefully those with more experience can chime in, but to clarify, I usually bring my FC up to shock and make sure I pass the overnight FC test and close the afternoon after I have passed the ONFC test...by the afternoon, my water falls 4-6ppm below shock level and I wrap 'er up. We have a dark blue liner and no fade so far.

Then again, if I think about what I used to toss in the pool for closing before finding TFP and listening to my local pool shop....I'm surprised my past pool liner ever survived a winter ...few bags of shock, winterizing tabs??, algaecide and hope for the best :shock:

Obviously though if you have an older liner or one that already is fading...hold a high FC for 4-5 months won't help things.

Thanks so much for the reply. Our liner is going on 8 years old. Although it still looks really good, there is one spot in the shallow end on the wall between the returns that is getting wrinkles. I'm nervous about shocking because the last time I shocked, it took a good week for the FC to drop from shock level to a high level. We're closing a week from today.

Do you know anything about non-chlorine shock? Is this something I should consider, or should I just stick with chlorine?

I'm curious, is it necessary to shock, or can I just raise the FC level a bit, let's say from 5 to 8?

Because I have a high CYA level(70-80) I raise my FC to about 10 every night to prevent falling below 5-6 during the day. Our liner is also 8 years old and in pretty good shape. Haven't noticed any fade although if it happens a little every year I may never notice it until it is replaced. I am closing the 29th and will raise the pool to shock level over the week-end prior to do the overnight test and let it fall back to a little below shock level before closing. I am also going to add the Algaecide I have not used this season just for added insurance and hope for the best. As mentioned with all the Crud I used to put in it this can't be any worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.