Installation of Solar Cover

rocky

Jun 30, 2009
The pool temperature is in the low 80s which means it is time to put on the solar cover to extend the swimming season. We do not have a reel for the solar cover. In the past, before I switched to BBB, the trichlor tablets would cause the solar cover to deterioate in a couple of years. With the BBB method I only add 48 oz of bleach each morning.

Here are the current pool parameters:
FC : 3
pH : 7.6
borates: 50
TA : 80
CYA : 36

Anyone have any recommendations how I can keep the FC level in range and not cause the solar blanket to deterioate? Daily removal of the solar cover is not feasible.

I have a reel but the method is still the same. I fold back the cover a bit over the return and test and add when I need to at that point. Just pour the bleach in front of the running return and it'll integrate in the water and not cause your cover any damage.

You can also just pour the bleach in the skimmer. Many people here do that; just don't go thinking it's OK with all chemicals! I never was able to get the hang of doing it without splashing bleach on my clothes, but you may do just fine.

Thanks for the helpful info. Here is how I decided to approach the situation I previously posted. With the solar cover on the FC will gradually increase if I continue adding the 48 oz bleach each day. I will try to keep the FC in the 1 - 3 ppm range. For the next several mornings I will use the test kit and measure the FC. I will pull back the solar cover and slowly add the necessary bleach in the deep end near the output water jet. When the solar cover bubbles start to come off I'll get a new solar cover.

Thanks again. :lol:

A solar cover will tend to reduce your daily FC requirement, so you do need to monitor closely after you first put the cover on, to avoid bringing FC up higher than you want.

Covers will deteriorate over time, even if you don't make a habit of pouring full-strength bleach on them. :) I just replaced mine, after being on the pool almost continuously for 18 months.
--paulr

PaulR said:
A solar cover will tend to reduce your daily FC requirement, so you do need to monitor closely after you first put the cover on, to avoid bringing FC up higher than you want.

Covers will deteriorate over time, even if you don't make a habit of pouring full-strength bleach on them. :) I just replaced mine, after being on the pool almost continuously for 18 months.
--paulr
..I'm in the same boat..I stopped adding bleach last week..Mine shot up like crazy when I put the cover back on..I started back adding every other night now..I checked it today & we were over 10..You really have to keep a check on it...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.