Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installation of Solar Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Installation of Solar Cover

The pool temperature is in the low 80s which means it is time to put on the solar cover to extend the swimming season. We do not have a reel for the solar cover. In the past, before I switched to BBB, the trichlor tablets would cause the solar cover to deterioate in a couple of years. With the BBB method I only add 48 oz of bleach each morning.

Here are the current pool parameters:
    FC : 3
    pH : 7.6
    borates: 50
    TA : 80
    CYA : 36

Anyone have any recommendations how I can keep the FC level in range and not cause the solar blanket to deterioate? Daily removal of the solar cover is not feasible.
    In-ground concrete/vinyl 21000 g, sand filter, Pentair 1 HP and 50 gpm. Pentair Legend in-pool cleaner, Nature 2 system (cartridge removed).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installation of Solar Cover

I have a reel but the method is still the same. I fold back the cover a bit over the return and test and add when I need to at that point. Just pour the bleach in front of the running return and it'll integrate in the water and not cause your cover any damage.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You can also just pour the bleach in the skimmer. Many people here do that; just don't go thinking it's OK with all chemicals! I never was able to get the hang of doing it without splashing bleach on my clothes, but you may do just fine.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the helpful info. Here is how I decided to approach the situation I previously posted. With the solar cover on the FC will gradually increase if I continue adding the 48 oz bleach each day. I will try to keep the FC in the 1 - 3 ppm range. For the next several mornings I will use the test kit and measure the FC. I will pull back the solar cover and slowly add the necessary bleach in the deep end near the output water jet. When the solar cover bubbles start to come off I'll get a new solar cover.

Thanks again.
    In-ground concrete/vinyl 21000 g, sand filter, Pentair 1 HP and 50 gpm. Pentair Legend in-pool cleaner, Nature 2 system (cartridge removed).

5. Back To Top    #5

A solar cover will tend to reduce your daily FC requirement, so you do need to monitor closely after you first put the cover on, to avoid bringing FC up higher than you want.

Covers will deteriorate over time, even if you don't make a habit of pouring full-strength bleach on them. I just replaced mine, after being on the pool almost continuously for 18 months.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    A solar cover will tend to reduce your daily FC requirement, so you do need to monitor closely after you first put the cover on, to avoid bringing FC up higher than you want.

Covers will deteriorate over time, even if you don't make a habit of pouring full-strength bleach on them. I just replaced mine, after being on the pool almost continuously for 18 months.
    --paulr
    ..I'm in the same boat..I stopped adding bleach last week..Mine shot up like crazy when I put the cover back on..I started back adding every other night now..I checked it today & we were over 10..You really have to keep a check on it...
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit