Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best time to run my pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Best time to run my pump

I have a few questions about when to run my pump, and when to have it off.

I have a timer that allows up to 24 on and 24 off cycles. I want enough run time to keep it sparkling, but obviously would like to save electricity too.

My old pump was 2HP. My new pump is 1.5HP. I have a 27'x52" AGP.

I typically add bleach at night, so that it has a chance to kill all the nasties before the sun starts consuming it. The timer gives me the flexibility to run for an hour or so to circulate the chlorine.

So, am I better off running it 9 - 11 hours all at once, or breaking this up into two or three smaller chunks? I will have to experiment of course to determine how much run time I need with the new pump. The old one did the job well in 6 - 8 hours a day until it died. I know it was way too much pump for the amount of pool I have, that's why I went with 1.5HP this time around.

One last thing. In another thread, somebody mentioned that running the pump at night will lower your water temperature on a cool night. Is this true? I do not want to lose my heat in the cooler months ahead.
    Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best time to run my pump

Is your new pump a 2-speed pump?

If it is, then I suggest running it 24 hours a day.

I have a 1½ hp and it's really a 1 hp full rated pump so let us know the SF of the new pump.

I run my pump 8 hours a day in 3 cycles. One 4 hour & two 2hour. One 2 hour cycle is from 11am - 1pm so I add some FC during the middle of the day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It's not a 2 speed. I couldn't afford one, unfortunately. Hopefully I can replace the motor next year.

4. Back To Top    #4

If money is a concern, when your ready for a replacment pump and you have the pump filter near the pool, a 0.5hp full rated pump will do just fine.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, I just don't know if 0.5HP will give me enough suction for vacuuming or using a suction side auto cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a 1/2 HP Pentair pump that vacuums just fine. Not sure about a suction side cleaner though.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a 1/2 HP with a suction cleaner AND running solar all at the same time. Of course not all 1/2 HP are equal so it depends on the model.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater