Upgraded plumbing and thru-wall skimmer for Intex pool.

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Good morning TFP!!!

I would like to share my latest project with everyone. Added a thru-wall skimmer and upgraded the plumbing for the main drain and skimmer so they can work together. I used 2" pipe and reduced to 1.25" pipe for the main drain and skimmer. Please follow the pictures below.

Enjoy.
1. pic of parts used for project.
19.jpg

2. Waterway Flo-Pro II Standard Mouth Long Throat Skimmer #560-D0A60S and pic of Intex drain valve.
20.jpg

21.jpg

3. 2" fitting added to the Sand Filter Pump.
22.jpg

23.jpg

4. Fittings put together for Skimmer and Drain.
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

5. All fittings and ball joints together and test fitted on pump.
28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

6. Pics of plumbing finished on pool. (Ball joints are used to control the suction from the skimmer and drain).
31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Man that looks so nice! I've been telling my DH that I wanted a skimmer in the wall of ours so the skimmer doesn't hang on the side because it's in the way when you're in the pool. Thank you for sharing such detail pix. I also like how you have the sand out from the pool some. Really nice looking. Looks like ya'll enjoy the outdoors like I do. ;)

That looks very nice! could you tell me more about what pump and filter you are using? I would like a simular setup but would want two skimmers for mine because where we live there are lots of trees and the wind is always blowing. Also how deep is the sand under the pool? It looks as though you ditched the ground tarp that goes under the pool. What do you use for a cover over your pool? I always have trouble with mine blowing off in high winds. Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for the help!

gayler said:
That looks very nice! could you tell me more about what pump and filter you are using? I would like a simular setup but would want two skimmers for mine because where we live there are lots of trees and the wind is always blowing. Also how deep is the sand under the pool? It looks as though you ditched the ground tarp that goes under the pool. What do you use for a cover over your pool? I always have trouble with mine blowing off in high winds. Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for the help!
Gayler, thanks for the comment.

The pump and filter i'm using is the 16" Intex Sand filter/pump combo. I switched out the pump that came with the pool because it was horrible. I was looking around the site to see if I could find some Intex pools with the thru-wall skimmers and there are a few out there so I knew it could be done. It is not hard at all to mount on the pool. The liner is thick and strong. I thought I would have problems with the liner streching out from the skimmer after I cut the opening but the liner held its shape to the skimmer. You can mount as many as you want to the pool. Just make sure you put some sort f valveing so you can regulate the flow between the skimmers. To prep the ground under the pool I used some metal frower garden boarders. I figured out how many I needed and after I put them together in a circle I pounded them into the ground and made the boarder level. I then killed the grass inside the boarder. Once the grass was killed I layed down some weed blocker and sand. In some places the sand is about 5" deep and in others it is about 2". I filled the circle to the top of the boarder so that made my pool area level. I decided to not use the ground cloth under the pool because I really had no need for it once the grass was killed and the sand was smoothed out. As for covering the pool. I have never used a cover on mine. Right now my pool has been taken down and I'm redoing the area for a larger pool. I just purchased the 24' x 52" Intex Ultra frame pool. If you are interested in any more mods I did to my pool please read my thread below on how I put a fountain and a second return in my pool.

Second Return and Fountain for Intex Pool

Thanks.

RobertR said:
What sort of PVC fitting is that on the pump? I want to do pretty much what you have done, but I thought Intex pumps had non-standard fittings?

Robert
Robert,
The picture in this thread is an older picture. When I did the upgrade I didn't know the threads were different. Yes, the Intex thread is a NON standard thread and after I put it on the pump and it did leak. I have come up with a way to use the Intex hose nuts and PVC fittings to create a non leaking connection to the pump and filter. Please read this thread. http://www.troublefreepool.com/custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html.
PM me your number and we can talk specifics if you like.

Excellent information. We just put up our 24 ft intex pool and are using the over the wall skimmer, but are not fond of it. My husband wants to put the large mouth wall skimmer in this pool that we used for our previous 15 ft (intex but fiberglass sided - about 6 years old) pool but we've been worried that the sides would tear. This is great info! Thank you for all the detail!

intheknowMOM said:
Excellent information. We just put up our 24 ft intex pool and are using the over the wall skimmer, but are not fond of it. My husband wants to put the large mouth wall skimmer in this pool that we used for our previous 15 ft (intex but fiberglass sided - about 6 years old) pool but we've been worried that the sides would tear. This is great info! Thank you for all the detail!

Thanks for the comment and Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Since you have the 24' Intex take a look at my build. I did quite a few mods to mine.

Back yard build in Central Texas.

:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*SIGH* such a nice set-up....I'm just a girl and all that 'foreign language' is just baffling me :(
I have the Intex 18' x 42" pool and after 5 yrs of messing with their cheap pumps have put all my money into the Hayward Xtreme pump/filter set up...but am having a very hard time figuring out all the plumbing terms and have yet to be able to set up my pool for this year. I don't know what to purchase other than I did order my 2nd 2 way ball valve (since the pool/pump only came with one). Had to order thru Leslie's pool supply on Lowe's boulevard in Killeen. Other than that, I am at a total loss as to what I need to buy/order. The guys at home depot were at a loss too...they couldn't even point me in the right bin for a 2 way ball valve or combo of pipes, etc to make one that looked like what I had in my hand! Anyways, I would love to set up the hard plumb system that you have in order to not have the pump/filter right next to the pool and to install the thru the wall skimmer like you have. So tell me, Mark, how much would you charge a fellow Coveite to come out and take a look and let us know exactly what I need to purchase?
Very respectfully,
Ms Willie Meihls
Copperas Cove, TX
(Bluestem Estates out on N FM116)

SunniGirl1955 said:
*SIGH* such a nice set-up....I'm just a girl and all that 'foreign language' is just baffling me :(
I have the Intex 18' x 42" pool and after 5 yrs of messing with their cheap pumps have put all my money into the Hayward Xtreme pump/filter set up...but am having a very hard time figuring out all the plumbing terms and have yet to be able to set up my pool for this year. I don't know what to purchase other than I did order my 2nd 2 way ball valve (since the pool/pump only came with one). Had to order thru Leslie's pool supply on Lowe's boulevard in Killeen. Other than that, I am at a total loss as to what I need to buy/order. The guys at home depot were at a loss too...they couldn't even point me in the right bin for a 2 way ball valve or combo of pipes, etc to make one that looked like what I had in my hand! Anyways, I would love to set up the hard plumb system that you have in order to not have the pump/filter right next to the pool and to install the thru the wall skimmer like you have. So tell me, Mark, how much would you charge a fellow Coveite to come out and take a look and let us know exactly what I need to purchase?
Very respectfully,
Ms Willie Meihls
Copperas Cove, TX
(Bluestem Estates out on N FM116)
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
I live in House Creek North on Jesse Dr. off of FM 116. We are practically neighbors. :whoot:
Thank you for the comments. I would be more than happy to help get your pump and filter set up. It took me a few trial and error set ups before I was able to get standard PVC pipe to conect to the non standard Intex pool. Send me a PM.

When you cut the liner, was the pool completely empty, or did you just drain enough to make the cut ?

Also where did you buy the fittings (PVC pipes, valves, etc)?
I'm located in Norway though, so we use the metric system :)
I'm having troubles finding plastic (ball) valves.

ComLock said:
When you cut the liner, was the pool completely empty, or did you just drain enough to make the cut ?

Also where did you buy the fittings (PVC pipes, valves, etc)?
I'm located in Norway though, so we use the metric system :)
I'm having troubles finding plastic (ball) valves.
Welcome to TFP! :wave:
If you are talking about cutting the liner for the fittings, the liner was already setup for the fittings. If you are talking about the thru-wall skimmer, I marked the liner where I was going to cut the liner then I filled the pool up to just about the bottom of the skimmer markings were. I did that so the liner would be streched out pryer to cutting the liner so there would be no issues. I then mounted the skimmer and cut the skimmer opening. I then filled the pool up to about 3/4 the skimmer opening.

If you use the metric system you may be able to find correct size PVC fittings that will directly connect to the Intex fittings. I think the fitting threads are metric pitch.
Hope this helps.

Post some pictures if you can.

:cheers:

Mark,
Great job i am going to borrow your ideas but i have one ? You mentioned that after you added the the skimmer that you made the original port into a vaccum port ! So when you run your pump you leave the vaccum port closed and just run the skimmer ? If so have you noticed any problems before i go and copy your idea this weekend.

Thanks Steve

i'm using the skimmer all the time now and converting the suction port to the pool fountain. it seems to me that using the skimmer is delivering better circulation in the pool so im going to use the orignal suction as the fountain. no problems with the skimmer. :)

So I got tired of messing with the "Over the Wall Skimmer" watching the bugs go back into the pool as your cleaning out the basket.. UGH..

So I came across this post (THANKS.....) and ordered the $24.00 Heritage Standard Thru-the-Wall Skimmer from Walmart Online. The Link http://www.walmart.com/ip/Standard-Thru-the-Wall-Skimmer/14003685

Online doesn't show you what you get but it comes with everything Gasket, Instructions even extra screws.. Very well built. I also believe that its sold under the "Splash Pools Brand" but overall pretty awesome.

0008779112600_300X300-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the First cut, I intentionally cut it a bit smaller then trimmed the opening as needed until I got a perfect fit. I'll be adding an extra layer around the opening at the end of the season, I didn't have the time and wanted to work on getting the pool filled back up before the 4th of July and the chemicals level. It's been rather hard keeping then FC (free Chlorine) to stay but after reading a couple post here on TFP and understanding what CYA was (stabilizer), I realized "oh Crud I never added that" so now everything is awesome.... YEAH

The Cut...
skimmer-2.jpg

Inside View.
skimmer-1.jpg

A Couple More Photos...
StandardSkimmer.jpg

connectcloseup.jpg

returnconnect.jpg

The output has increased many times over...
flow.jpg

So far the skimmer is really working great, it ran last night for 6 hours and the filter was full of grim and bugs, which brings up my next mod... I think I'm going to go buy a skimmer sock so the bugs never make it the the filter.

As for the filter:::> I wash mine out every morning with a wide spray hose nozzle to clear out bugs and brown film, Once a week I dip in a bleach mixture but thinking of trying vinegar.. The pool is crystal clear..

As for the SWG min in 700 max is 4000 which is great. With 8000 gallons and the Intex 635 (which I thought was the problem) because with only 1500gph but with the new skimmer I have a whirlpool in the intake... Go figure..

frogabog... As for the wide vs standard even though I like the standard I wished I would of ordered the wide :(

Also I'm wondering about the lack of distance between the skimmer and return???

Overall big improvement

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.