Upgraded plumbing and thru-wall skimmer for Intex pool.

i plan on doing this next year when i upgrade to a 24ft my ??? is would it not be better for the skimmer to be placed more to the right side of the org over the top skimmer and port hole. i have a 16 now and it just seems like the suction and the return are to close. i was thinking about going a good two feet past the org hole for the skimmer but i see alot of people putting it between the two port holes. any thoughts
thx casper

I currently under fill my pool by 12" or so because I want my kids to be able to touch. So far i just have Intex 2500 pump/B cartridge. (only got pool up last week, so might wait til next year on sig line equipment - still deciding this). I really want to add a skimmer (i don't even have the over the side kind). My question is, if I add one now and next season want to raise the water level 4" and similar the next season, is that feasible? Would I need to keep plugging the prior year's skimmer hole and cutting a new, higher skimmer hole each season? Can they be plugged? How? ... Thanks

I did the same set up with the blue id hose, did you have any problems getting that hose to seal to the barbs or fittings? I cant get it to seal, and for the second set of pictures is that just a 2 in electical fitting to the intex hose? Thanks.

stevefire05
i answered your PM. also look on page 3 in the custom pvc adapter thread for more info on these adapters. i had used the carlon adapters but i also had to modify those somewhat. they came from HD. however the cantex adapters at lowes need no modification at all! i will use them next year when i move to a larger pool.

Thanks...

Yeah we just finished taking down the pool for the year. Here in Louisiana the rain was killing me.
To add to that the crappy intex pump!!! Dead!! SWG is fine so if I put the pool up next year I need a better pump/filter.

Have fun guys.. D

I am thinking it would be wise to order a bigger filter pump for my little pool. What the pool came with is a 530 gph model. It just seems like it's not moving anything. I am debating between getting the 1500 or the 2500.
1. I understand there are adapters that I must buy to convert the existing 1 1/4 fittings to 1 1/2, but I've also seen plunger valves installed. What are those and why do people use them?
2. 1500 or 2500? If I go with the bigger unit, does that mean I can run it less time?
3. Will I need to drain the pool to do the upgrade? Can I just cover the inside parts with something while I exchange the outside parts?

Thank you for any advice!

i have a 18x52 intex pool with a metal frame haywood sand filter 1.5 hp pump not sure of gpm this is a upgraded pump, i want to add a through the wall skimmer is it ok/safe to cut the liner to install this type of skimmer any instruction would be helpful i have the the over the rail type skimmer i dont really care for it stick out to far thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great site, but soooo frustrating when attached pics are on DEAD links ..... could you not delete posts containing DEAD links? Intex non-standard issues are a pain enough, but to not be able to view contributors pics alongside their text is equally painful.

Well I went ahead and upgraded to the 2500gph, and LOVE it. I followed the guidance by another poster to cut the liner so the supplied fittings would work as designed. I highly recommend doing this procedure.

New to the site and I am considering a thru the wall skimmer as seen here many times. It looks like with all the pictures I have seen the water level is lower with the thru the wall skimmer vs the over the rail kind that is supplied with the Intex pools. So the question is how high does the water need to be on the thru the wall skimmers. I would like to keep my water level as high as possible, right now I try to maintain it about 3" from the cutouts where the poles for the supports are.

Very excited to start my modifications this weekend! I am upgrading to a 2650 sand filter/pump, installing a fountain using an extra small Intex pump/filter that I have (installing a second drain port and hard plumbing to pump and thru to fountain). Also plan to install thru-wall skimmer as soon as I receive it :) :)

I'm just getting an 18'x48" and also getting the 2650 gph sand filter. You guys think I should go straight into a through the wall strainer? I am concerned about cutting through the vinyl early on but am thinking just letting it go as is this summer and then start modifications next year, i.e. through the wall skimmer, hard piping, landscaping etc...

What are your thoughts?

You'll know when it's time to start modifications, the reasons just sort of manifest themselves. I had no intention of doing ANYTHING with this, my first pool, and already I've cut into it, rigged a vacuum system and upgraded to a larger-than-stock pump. I have no need of a skimmer at this point, it doesn't get a lot of debris blown into it. It's sort of relaxing to use the net scooper thing on the surface to get what little floats on it. Have fun with your new project.

Any way to resurrect the original pictures in this thread? I am helping a friend out with his 15' x 48" Intex pool in the next week. He is upgrading to the Intex 2600 gph Sand filter. He also ordered a through wall skimmer. Would be nice to see pictures before we start the modifications.

This is from another thread in this website:

i just put a skimmer in mine yesterday with my pool full and no problems i did not lose a pint of water and it is better to have the pool full because the liner is stretched. when you install it make sure it is level and start at the top corners and then the bottom corners and then the rest of the screws, once everything is tight and no water leaks from around the screws make all connections of the hoses and then CAREFULLY cut out the center of the skimmer and remember a gasket on the inside and one on the outside...Mike

I did a search using +through+the+wall+skimmer and found it. There's more. There's probably discussion and photos in other threads as well.

ddamrill said:
So I got tired of messing with the "Over the Wall Skimmer" watching the bugs go back into the pool as your cleaning out the basket.. UGH..

So I came across this post (THANKS.....) and ordered the $24.00 Heritage Standard Thru-the-Wall Skimmer from Walmart Online. The Link http://www.walmart.com/ip/Standard-Thru-the-Wall-Skimmer/14003685

Online doesn't show you what you get but it comes with everything Gasket, Instructions even extra screws.. Very well built. I also believe that its sold under the "Splash Pools Brand" but overall pretty awesome.

0008779112600_300X300-1.jpg

Here's a picture of the First cut, I intentionally cut it a bit smaller then trimmed the opening as needed until I got a perfect fit. I'll be adding an extra layer around the opening at the end of the season, I didn't have the time and wanted to work on getting the pool filled back up before the 4th of July and the chemicals level. It's been rather hard keeping then FC (free Chlorine) to stay but after reading a couple post here on TFP and understanding what CYA was (stabilizer), I realized "oh **** I never added that" so now everything is awesome.... YEAH

The Cut...

Inside View.

A Couple More Photos...

The output has increased many times over...

So far the skimmer is really working great, it ran last night for 6 hours and the filter was full of grim and bugs, which brings up my next mod... I think I'm going to go buy a skimmer sock so the bugs never make it the the filter.

As for the filter:::> I wash mine out every morning with a wide spray hose nozzle to clear out bugs and brown film, Once a week I dip in a bleach mixture but thinking of trying vinegar.. The pool is crystal clear..

ddamrill, for whatever reason i don't have access to the pictures. Could you repost them. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.